Share your Microsoft Windows Vista Experience!

Win10-Hater

I got my Dell Latitude about a month ago for about  25,000 Indian rupees (approx. 350 USD), including upgrade cost (8 GB DDR3 RAM, 480 GB Kingston A400 SSD). It's not the cheapest Vista compatible PC but yeah, it runs superfast and can handle all the multitasking, for example, opening ten Chrome tabs while having a Vista/7 VM open while typing a Word document, that I do.

Edited by TECHGEEK

13 minutes ago, Dixel said:

There's nothing cheap nowadays . If you see a "cheap" price , that's for locals only . Ebay's "global shiping" price is just outrageous , it also has whooping fees , like for example , search for Intel G3470 , it costs somewhere between 40-50 USD , plus shipping (30 - 40 USD) , plus ebay fees "See import charges at checkout" and my country's VAT , it will be way over 120USD. I bought it NEW seven or six years ago for smth like 60 Euro (about 80 USD at that time). This used should cost no more than 20 bucks shipped. Will you find you find such price ? No .

Edit : just checked videocards . OMG 7- 8 y.o. GTX780 for 130 - 250 USD , plus shipping, starting from 70 and up to 180 USD !!! (plus my country tax)

True. But it's dirt cheap in the US and I don't know why it's expensive in other countries like yours.

In India, Vista compatible desktop parts are very easy to find on Amazon.in but laptops are a rarity. The laptop catalog has just started to expand last month. 

That hardware doesn't come very cheap on India but yeah, it is way more affordable that newer PC setups and laptops. Costs around 200-400 bucks. Don't know about Latvia and why exactly prices are high.

59 minutes ago, TECHGEEK said:

True. But it's dirt cheap in the US and I don't know why it's expensive in other countries like yours.

In India, Vista compatible desktop parts are very easy to find on Amazon.in but laptops are a rarity. The laptop catalog has just started to expand last month. 

That hardware doesn't come very cheap on India but yeah, it is way more affordable that newer PC setups and laptops. Costs around 200-400 bucks. Don't know about Latvia and why exactly prices are high.

Searched for the price of fully Vista compatible desktop parts for a custom build on Amazon.in. (Cost values can be in rounded figures)

i5 2400 - cost of INR 4000 

Zebronics H61 motherboard (cheaper alternative to Gigabyte H61 mobo)-cost of INR 3750

Corsair 110R Computer case- cost of INR 3300

Corsair CV450 450W Power supply- cost of INR 3360

Corsair Vengeance 8GBx2 DDR3-1600 RAM - cost of INR 6800

Crucial BX500 480GB SSD- cost of INR 4100

WD Blue 1TB  7200 rpm HDD (if required) - cost of INR 3550

Grand Total = 28860.0 INR (approx 390 USD) 

This would make a great Vista machine for heavy gaming/desktop-based workloads. Certainly not extremely cheap, but yeah, cheaper than most newer i5/i7 based desktops. Don't know why hardware like this is expensive in Latvia @Dixel

I don't know which graphics card performs good and is Vista compatible. Please suggest

Edited by TECHGEEK

3 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

I was looking for these items in the US , with shipping to my country , the prices are for US , yes that ridiculous 50 bucks for G3470. By the way , our local second hand market is cheaper than used items on ebay , much cheaper .  I'm so glad I bought everything I need back in the day. Regarding Amazon , it's not conveneint for me . Their shipping policies are awful . For exanple , I order several items in one order . They can easily send it with several deliveries ! And if ordering from the abroads , one can never know which company they will use for delivery ! I have had hard times with Fedex , so I do not want to use it ever again , yet I can't choose when ordering from Amazon , besides our local stores are much cheaper and they are close.

3 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

Searched for the price of fully Vista compatible desktop parts for a custom build on Amazon.in. (Cost values can be in rounded figures)

Grand Total = 28860.0 INR (approx 390 USD) 

This would make a great Vista machine for heavy gaming/desktop-based workloads. Certainly not extremely cheap, but yeah, cheaper than most newer i5/i7 based desktops. Don't know why hardware like this is expensive in Latvia @Dixel

I don't know which graphics card performs good and is Vista compatible. Please suggest

Whaaat !??! It is way too expensive. Some prices are the same as here (like WD 1TB) . Don't buy Corsair. This model is cheaply made , the best PSU ever is FSP ATX 450PNF (this one can work for a decade without breaking a sweat) or FSP600-80GHN also good. As for the video card , the best is GTX780/Titan  (7th gen.) I didn't like GTX970 , 1070 . Soon I will test GTX980 and if it is also bad , I'll find a used Titan.

Revised cheap Vista PC build (parts from Amazon):

i5 2400 - cost of INR 3925

Corsair computer cabinet -cost of INR 3300

Zebronics H61 mobo -cost of INR 3750

Antec 550W VP550P Gaming PSU -cost of INR 3330

ASUS Geforce 710 2GB GDDR5 (No 780's were available on amazon.in) -cost of INR 3310

Kingston 16 GB (8x2) DDR3-1600 RAM -cost of INR 6400

Kingston A400 240 GB SSD-cost of INR 2650

WD Blue 1 TB HDD (7200 rpm)-cost of INR 3535

Grand Total = INR 30200. Is this a better build than the first pc @Dixel?

4 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

Revised cheap Vista PC build (parts from Amazon):

i5 2400 - cost of INR 3925

Corsair computer cabinet -cost of INR 3300

Zebronics H61 mobo -cost of INR 3750

Antec 550W VP550P Gaming PSU -cost of INR 3330

ASUS Geforce 710 2GB GDDR5 (No 780's were available on amazon.in) -cost of INR 3310

Kingston 16 GB (8x2) DDR3-1600 RAM -cost of INR 6400

Kingston A400 240 GB SSD-cost of INR 2650

WD Blue 1 TB HDD (7200 rpm)-cost of INR 3535

Grand Total = INR 30200. Is this a better build than the first pc @Dixel?

Hello , i'm sorry I don't quite understand the purpose of this build. One won't be able to play with GT710. It's weak even for office use. If you insist on bying from Amazon.in only , then I'd suggest to replace it with GTX 950 2GD5 OCV1 , they are available there and it is fully supported on Vista. Also , maybe I'm a bit of old school , but I don't like SSDs , any of them. WD Blue 10EZEX is fast enough for this build. 550W (if it is a true 550W PSU) would be more than enough for this whole system with the replaced GPU.

2 hours ago, Dixel said:

Also , maybe I'm a bit of old school , but I don't like SSDs , any of them.

You're pretty old school. My main PC has 2.5TB of SSD storage, my laptop will have 2.5TB of SSD storage, my previous laptop has 0.75TB of SSD storage (Can't use M.2 SATA in "new" laptop)

17 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

You're pretty old school. My main PC has 2.5TB of SSD storage, my laptop will have 2.5TB of SSD storage, my previous laptop has 0.75TB of SSD storage (Can't use M.2 SATA in "new" laptop)

My main PC (Dell Latitude) is the only PC with SSD storage, but I am planning to upgrade the other PC's in the house to SSD's too. 

Also, @asdf2345, what are your previous laptop's specs?

22 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

Well , I agree it makes sense for a laptop , but for a main PC ... why ? My Vista's boot time is 5-6 seconds on the gaming PC . What are the benefits in this case ? To make it 3-4 seconds ? Besides , 2.5tb isn't too much nowadays . I have my home video footage , clips from various trips and the such , which occupy more than 10TB. I think I'm a bit older than you , though ... so it had accumulated over the years. Also, I'm still not convinced in their ability to store information for a long time (without power) and their durability. I have 10 year old Raptors (under constant use) and they still going strong.

P.S. I'm not using Win7/8/10 , and Vista doesn't do any annoynig constant writing to my HDDs.

10 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

My main PC (Dell Latitude) is the only PC with SSD storage, but I am planning to upgrade the other PC's in the house to SSD's too. 

Also, @asdf2345, what are your previous laptop's specs?

It's actually newer, but I replaced it for various reasons

My old laptop (MSI GS60 2QE) before I took some parts for the "new" one:

Core i7 4720HQ

16GB RAM (2x8GB only two slots)

GTX 970M

240GB SATA M.2 SSD that I can't remember the brand of

500GB Samsung 850 Evo SATA M.2

1TB WD laptop HDD

My "new" main laptop (HP 8770W):

Core i7 3630QM (Can upgrade this all the way to a 3940XM, and get better performance than the 4720HQ)

24GB RAM (2x8GB and 2x4GB)

Firepro M4000 (MXM, so I can upgrade this. Have a Quadro M5000M coming in the mail for the laptop)

500GB Samsung 860 Evo

2TB WD Blue SSD coming in the mail

I got the 8770W, because my GS60 2QE ran hot and loud, even at idle, the CPU was in the 60s. I also wanted more than 16GB of RAM, a faster GPU, a non-Optimus laptop for use with XP and Vista, etc,

2 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

It's actually newer, but I replaced it for various reasons

My old laptop (MSI GS60 2QE) before I took some parts for the "new" one:

Core i7 4720HQ

16GB RAM (2x8GB only two slots)

GTX 970M

240GB SATA M.2 SSD that I can't remember the brand of

500GB Samsung 850 Evo SATA M.2

1TB WD laptop HDD

My "new" main laptop (HP 8770W):

Core i7 3630QM (Can upgrade this all the way to a 3940XM, and get better performance than the 4720HQ)

24GB RAM (2x8GB and 2x4GB)

Firepro M4000 (MXM, so I can upgrade this. Have a Quadro M5000M coming in the mail for the laptop)

500GB Samsung 860 Evo

2TB WD Blue SSD coming in the mail

I got the 8770W, because my GS60 2QE ran hot and loud, even at idle, the CPU was in the 60s. I also wanted more than 16GB of RAM, a faster GPU, a non-Optimus laptop for use with XP and Vista, etc,

That's a very powerful machine! Btw, has it been delivered?