Share your Microsoft Windows Vista Experience!

Win10-Hater

21 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

Are there many users who run Vista x86? I know only @VistaLover and @Vistapocalypse who run it even now.

If any Vista x86 users see this post, please tell me why you use 32 bit Vista. Just curious.

It is  much , much faster , it is small (HDD). It eats much less RAM for the same x86 programs that you launch in 64bit enviroment . They run faster, like 30%.  Also, it has that good ol' sound (nostalgic) , like we used to hear in the 80s-90s. If you have a quality sound system , it may even sound similar to Bang and Olufsen (no kidding!). I still use it today for x86 games and uncompressed music. P.S. Boot time on Haswell like 3-4 seconds.

9 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Why did I buy a 32-bit Vista System in the spring of 2008? I wanted a more powerful PC by the end of 2007 and was aware of the theoretical advantages of 64 bit - but as you probably know, Vista was a big flop. I was hearing many bad things about it, and was even advised to replace Vista with XP after buying a PC! That sounded like a waste of money, so I decided to wait until Microsoft released a service pack for Vista. While waiting, I learned that software makers were very reluctant to develop 64-bit products because a large majority of XP systems were 32 bit and Vista was a failure. In early 2008, the best selling point for Vista x64 seemed to be, “You can still run 32-bit software on it.” Well you could also run 32-bit software on a somewhat less expensive Vista x86 system, so that was my decision at the time. (It was not until Windows 7 became the success that Vista never was that x64 really came into its own.)

Do you still have that system? If so, specs please?

1 hour ago, Dixel said:

If you have a quality sound system , it may even sound similar to Bang and Olufsen (no kidding!). 

Yeah, and windows default sounds are also like pleasant music to our ears. Today's windows 8.x and 10 sounds are not great, especially the Windows 10 ones that reflect the bland look of the default ui. And in 8.x, the Vista style sounds were still there to replace the default ones but in Win10, they were gone!

10 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Why did I buy a 32-bit Vista System in the spring of 2008? I wanted a more powerful PC by the end of 2007 and was aware of the theoretical advantages of 64 bit - but as you probably know, Vista was a big flop. I was hearing many bad things about it, and was even advised to replace Vista with XP after buying a PC! That sounded like a waste of money, so I decided to wait until Microsoft released a service pack for Vista. While waiting, I learned that software makers were very reluctant to develop 64-bit products because a large majority of XP systems were 32 bit and Vista was a failure. In early 2008, the best selling point for Vista x64 seemed to be, “You can still run 32-bit software on it.” Well you could also run 32-bit software on a somewhat less expensive Vista x86 system, so that was my decision at the time. (It was not until Windows 7 became the success that Vista never was that x64 really came into its own.)

Also do you have any reason for using it in 2020?

5 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

Without any drivers?

With drivers , of course . 

Config:

Intel Pentium G3470

DDR3 1866 (Ripjaws X) 32GB (I know it's not needed , just lazy to put it off)

WD Raptor 600GB WD6000HLHX

GTX970 reference (Driver 344.60) (waiting to test with GTX980 , should arrive soon)

16 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Why did I buy a 32-bit Vista System in the spring of 2008? I wanted a more powerful PC by the end of 2007 and was aware of the theoretical advantages of 64 bit - but as you probably know, Vista was a big flop. I was hearing many bad things about it, and was even advised to replace Vista with XP after buying a PC! ...

Well , that's odd , I didn't hear anything "bad" about Vista in my country . We had Siemens laptops and desktops during that days , they were quite popular and fast/robust. Later Siemens became just Fujitsu , but that's another story . Though, I liked Siemens better because they used higher quality parts.  And this one , yes , I heard that alot too "advised to replace Vista with XP after buying a PC" . Actually I did it it (but with Win2000). Just for some time , until dark themes became available . I couldn't stand Vista's paper white folder backgrounds . Are you OK with not being able to customize the background ? Earlier Windows didn't have a problem with that. Oh , and Windows 7 wasn't that popular here , we still had plenty of good working Siemens PCs , in good condition with Vista pre-installed . There was no need to replace it with Win7 , which is worse.

So , many people here just skipped to Win8 (NOT including me). These days the situation is much worse . It's like a ton of zombies around and everyone with Win10/Linux.

1 hour ago, Dixel said:

Config:

Intel Pentium G3470

GTX970 reference (Driver 344.60) (waiting to test with GTX980 , should arrive soon)

Ok, so I see GPU drivers are not a problem, but do you face those weird Logon Initialisation bugs or some random slowdowns on Vista x86? Also have you installed any 4+ gb RAM patch?

1 hour ago, Dixel said:

Config:

Intel Pentium G3470

System properties screenshot please

3 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

System properties screenshot please

It's the gaming PC , not connected to the internet , zero programs (not even a screen capture), except for several games and audio player .  I wasn't even hope that someone would be interested in such system, I mean cheap Pentium and 9 years old HDD , I'm flattered )))

2 minutes ago, Dixel said:

It's the gaming PC , not connected to the internet , zero programs (not even a screen capture), except for several games and audio player .  I wasn't even hope that someone would be interested in such system, I mean cheap Pentium and 9 years old HDD , I'm flattered )))

Come on, don't you have snipping tool?

3 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

Ok, so I see GPU drivers are not a problem, but do you face those weird Logon Initialisation bugs or some random slowdowns on Vista x86? Also have you installed any 4+ gb RAM patch?

1 - No , I do not , x86 systems are not affected . 2- No , I see no reason . I've read this patch was developed by a russian , so no trust by me. My PC is my choice , I do not install russian programs , I do not trust them.