MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. ×

How to install Windows 11 on "unsupported" hardware.

GD 2W10

These are methods that can be found anywhere on the internet, but I wanted to post it here. With this tutorial you should be able to install Windows 11 on any PC that supports Windows 10 x64.

Method 1 (recommended as I have not tried the second method) (any builds as of the time of writing works):

1. Get a Windows 10 x64 ISO. You can do this with the Media Creation Tool, or with Windows ISO Downloader.

2. Copy the contents of the ISO to a folder. Go to sources and delete "install.wim" or "install.esd".

3. Get a Windows 11 ISO

4. Mount the Windows 11 ISO.

5. Go to the sources folder, and copy "install.wim" or "install.esd"

6. Paste the install.wim/esd file into the Windows 10 x64 sources folder. You can only do a clean install however. I recommend using Windows Easy Transfer from Windows 7/8 (not 8.1) to transfer your files and settings. If you need a copy of the program, dm me.

You can run setup.exe in the sources folder to do a clean install of 11, but here's how to make it into an ISO.

7. Download and install NTLite. https://www.ntlite.com/ 

8. Once you have installed it, select "Free", unless you have a license.

9. Click "Add" > "Image directory"

10. Select the Windows 10 setup with the Windows 11 "install.wim/esd" folder.

11. Right click on "install.wim/esd", and click "Create ISO"

Method 2 (works with only builds 21996 and before I think, you can try other builds if you want):

1. Get a Windows 11 ISO. 

2. Copy the contents of the ISO to a folder. Go to sources and delete "appraisesres.dll"

3. Get a Windows 10 x64 ISO. You can do this with the Media Creation Tool, or with Windows ISO Downloader.

4. Mount the Windows 10 x64 ISO.

5. Go to the sources folder, and copy "appraisesres.dll" to the sources folder into the Windows 10 ISO.

6. Paste the file into the "sources" folder in the Windows 11 directory. When you run the setup, it should check to see if it is capable for Windows 10 and not 11.

If you want to make this into an ISO, refer to the instructions in Method 1.

Edited by GD 2W10
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@GD 2W10
Pleased to report that I managed to install Windows 11 on my 12 year old motherboard!
I got a Windows 11 ISO using the uupdump.net procedure detailed here, but it wouldn't install as it of course failed the system requirements check.
Thanks to your workaround detailed above, I managed to get around that and do a successful install, which seems to be working fine!
It had to be a clean install, so I'm not using it seriously yet, and it will be a long time before I will, but good to find that it is possible to update even on my old hardware.
Gives me something new to play with anyway!
:thumbup

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Dave-H said:

@GD 2W10
Pleased to report that I managed to install Windows 11 on my 12 year old motherboard!
I got a Windows 11 ISO using the uupdump.net procedure detailed here, but it wouldn't install as it of course failed the system requirements check.
Thanks to your workaround detailed above, I managed to get around that and do a successful install, which seems to be working fine!
It had to be a clean install, so I'm not using it seriously yet, and it will be a long time before I will, but good to find that it is possible to update even on my old hardware.
Gives me something new to play with anyway!
:thumbup

wonder if you managed get gpu working with it proper? Windows 11 is picky from gpu and needs dx12 compatible one

Basically, reading the requirements, if GPU comes with Win10 specific driver (WDDM 2.0 <==), it'll work, but otherwise, I assume one is stuck with Basic Display Adapter. I know for certain Win10 can load WDDM 1.1 drivers.

Direct3D 12 supports 11_0 feature level, so that allows driving graphics through D3D12 library on GPU that only supports features of D3D11, so 12 specific features aren't available then.

Windows 11 found and installed a driver for my Nvidia Quadro 2000 absolutely fine, it's working just as it does on Windows 10.
:yes:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Windows 11 found and installed a driver for my Nvidia Quadro 2000 absolutely fine, it's working just as it does on Windows 10.
:yes:

good to know. I personally wont use Windows 11 but some peoples will likely want upgrade to it even got older but still powerful hw (believe or not some got very similar old workstation hw as you do) and know atleast for it now it can be done unless ms hard codes requiment to kernel level.

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

20 hours ago, UCyborg said:

I know for certain Win10 can load WDDM 1.1 drivers.

I was able use old asrock nforce board with intergrated mainboard on older win10 build that way. Of course was limited to reduced feature set