Forum registration with Hotmail account?

ShaggyMoose

I just tried to register with a Hotmail address and never received the registration email. Resent a couple of times but nothing. Changed my address to a Gmail account and it worked immediately (although went to spam). Has the site been blacklisted by Microsoft? Do you need to configure an SPF record?

• 4 months later...

I can confirm this. I've been trying to register for two days with an msn/hotmail account and despite resending the activation many times, I never got it. Are msn accounts blocked?

Like the OP I had to use a gmail account to log in, but I check that like once a year, so how can I use my primary account here? msn (hotmail) account?

Neither Hotmail nor MSN are on the block list. Perhaps there is a technical reason, such as the email provider marking the forum emails as junk. There are two users in validating who have an MS email but neither are from Australia. If you want to PM me the email address you tried to sign up with, I can take a look see.

• 9 months later...

I had this same problem and also with another sort of related site. I could not verify my account with my Hotmail address. I had to use a different provider and it worked great.

• 3 months later...
On 3/9/2022 at 7:55 AM, xper said:

I hope it's fixed now. Sorry for inconvenience. 

Sorry for bumping this, but outlook email addresses (e.g. someone@outlook.com) do not work. I tried to change my account email to an outlook email, but nothing came in, not even to my junk box. I switched back to Gmail and it came in instantly (trying to declutter my Gmail a bit by moving some mails to Outlook). Other activation mails from other forums came in fine. Thanks in advanced for your help!

Edited by Jakob99

• 2 months later...

I am currently using the email address provided by my ISP in my MSFN account and would like to change it to the free email address provided by Microsoft (@live.ca) but I can't because the validation email to confirm my new email address never arrives in my MS Outlook 2019 inbox.  I waited for about 20 min and tried re-sending the validation email but got an error stating "Oops! Something went wrong, Please try again".  I have  confirmed that the validation e-mails do not go my Junk Email folder, that msfn@msfn.org is in my Safe Senders list, and that no email address or domain associated with MSFN is in my Blocked Senders list.  In order to sign into this forum again I had to change my email address back to the address provided by my ISP, and the validation email arrived as expected.

357206379_MSFNForumChangeEmailAddressPleaseConfirmYourEmail22Aug2022.png.491322eb1728bbcc5fd03cbc5df98446.png

374982350_MSFNForumChangeEmailAddressResendConfirmationEmailOopsError22Aug2022.png.e6bcde3eb8feb24d459900ccbee8c52d.png

I don't know if it's relevant, but when I originally registered on MSFN back in Feb 2019 I used that same Microsoft Outlook email address (@live.ca).  In Sep 2020 I stopped receiving e-mail notifications when new replies were posted in topics that I was subscribed to, and changing my email  address in my MSFN account settings to the alternate email address provided by my ISP got my email notifications working again.  I first tried changing back to my free Microsoft Outlook email address in Mar 2021 but had the same problem described above where the validation email sent to that @live.ca email account never arrived.

As of now I'm not sure if MSFN does not allow the use of any Microsoft (Hotmail/Outlook/Live) email address, or if I'm having problems because I tried to switch back to an @live.ca email address I had used previously to register on the MSFN forum (e.g., my Microsoft email address is on a list of previously used emails that are banned to prevent anyone from creating more than one MSFN account with the same email address).
--------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.1889 * Firefox v103.0.2 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2205.7-1.1.19500.2 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.13.208-1.0.1740 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.6867 * MS Outlook 2019 v2207 (Build 15427.20210)
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

Edited by lmacri

• lmacri changed the title to Unable to Change to Microsoft Email Address in MSFN Account
3 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

No user has registered/used with a live.ca email since 2015...

Hi Tripredacus:

That can't be correct, because the image below shows an old notification email I received on 19-Jan-2020 that was automatically sent to my @live.ca email address.

1757483400_MSFNForumOld19-Jun-2020NotificationEmailSenttoLive_ca23Aug2022.png.66a291245b0ea361c82bd38dee92702d.png

As I stated <above>, my email notifications from MSFN to this @live.ca email address stopped in Sep 2020 and there was nothing I could do to get them re-started (e.g., unsubscribing and then re-subscribing to threads I wanted to follow didn't work) so I had to change the email address in my MSFN account settings to an alternate email address provided by my ISP to get my email notifications working again.  Now I can't change back to this @live.ca email address because the validation email to confirm this is a legitimate email address never arrives.  I've checked everywhere I can think, including my Blocked Senders list on Outlook.com, and can't find any reason why emails sent by MSFN to this @live.ca address would be blocked on my end.

EDIT:

If I resend my confirmation email the message is "Oops! Something went wrong, Please try again".  Doesn't that imply that the problem is on your end?
--------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.1889 * Firefox v104.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2205.7-1.1.19500.2 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.13.208-1.0.1740 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.6867 * MS Outlook 2019 v2207 (Build 15427.20210)
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

Edited by lmacri

If I may, there are many possible causes of this happening, Tripredacus checked one and then (IMHO mistakenly) stated "The issue is elsewhere".

It is very likely that one of the updates of the (stupid) forum software is causing the issue, the "Oops! Something went wrong, Please try again" is the typical (stupid) error message (meaningless) that the board software produces, so definitely the issue/bug is on msfn.org, though I believe that pinpointing it won't be easy, over the years many similar issues surfaced, particularly with thread notification mails (that may or may not be related to confirmation ones).

jaclaz

21 hours ago, lmacri said:

That can't be correct, because the image below shows an old notification email I received on 19-Jan-2020 that was automatically sent to my @live.ca email address.

The forum doesn't keep email address history. It can't show me who had a live.ca email in the past and had since changed it.