Where (exactly) is the Windows 10 (and/or Windows 7) "line" (64 bit) ?

jaclaz

23 hours ago, maxXPsoft said:

From what you saying looks like you thinking of getting into building these cheap PC's?

No. :no:

(unneeded) explanation on the matter was (anyway) already given.

On 11/30/2020 at 8:36 PM, jaclaz said:

Lately (think of COVID-19 lockdown/smart working) I have seen a lot of movement about refurbishing old (but not that much old) "business" PC's (think of Lenovo, HP and DELL small form factor desktops) 

by essentially:
1) upgrading RAM to 4 or 8 GB
2) replacing built-in SATA hard disks (originally 250/320/500 GB) with 120/128 or 240/256 SSD's
3) using (or abusing?) Microsoft upgrade policy to update OS from 7 (or 8/8.1) to 10

The processors in these machines are usually Intel i3, i5 or i7.

Now the question ...

On 12/7/2020 at 8:10 PM, jaclaz said:

The question came out because quite a few friends with this continued lockdown are getting short of devices (typical dad AND mom working from home AND one or two children doing remote schooling with - again typically - one "current" pc or laptop, an old (or older) one, one el-cheapo tablet, and one - quite capable BTW - smartphone but with a too tiny screen).

Family fights to get a decently large screen assured.

Since for *some reasons* I am considered in my circle of acquaintenances a cheap (but wise/expert ;))  old grumpy bastard friendly guy lately I have been often asked to find "best bang for the buck" solutions to this issue,, thanks also to the members that shared their opinions/experience came out as:

i5 and, namely to:

IBM Thinkpad M92 or M93 "Tiny" i5, 8GB, Windows 10 64-bit. 120 or 240 GB SSD

OR loosely corresponding Fujitsu Esprimo, Hp Prodesk or Elitedesk small form factor PC's, i.e. something that can be easily found for anything between 180 and 240 Euro (already "refurbished" with added RAM and SSD and upgraded OS) and that came originally with Windows 7 or 8/8.1.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

• 8 months later...

On 12/17/2020 at 3:09 PM, Tripredacus said:

x86 PC with 4 GB RAM and a quad core is not powerful enough to use Facebook for more than 5-10 minutes before the browser takes up all available RAM and stops responding

The solution could be to use these flags :

--process-per-site (force to run all facebook or any other site's tabs in one process , even if you have a gazilion of them opened)

Also , some of the flags to reduce chrome's RAM and power consumption , esp. for notebooks. Here is a good compilation : 

--enable-low-end-device-mode

--disable-highres-timer

--disable-low-res-tiling

--wm-window-animations-disabled

--enable-rgba-4444-textures

--disable-login-animations

P.S. These are only to speed up the browser , the above flags do not have anything to do with privacy/security.

These also reduce CPU usage , esp. at the start :

--disable-background-networking

--disable-preconnect