Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 


Sign in to follow this  
COKEDUDEUSF

Patch Panel Help

Recommended Posts

I apologize if this is something easy. I have never used a patch panel before. No matter what I try I am not able to get an internet connection through the patch panel. This is a panduit dp5e patch panel. I have tried running a cable from the router to patch panel. I have tried running a cable from the switch to the patch panel. Neither method work. I have noticed that the lights do not turn on either way. Is this patch panel supposed to have some kind of power supply for the lights? I do not see a way to plug it in. Am I missing some part I need? The router and switch both work fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took a look at a few and they do not use a power supply. It is basically just a metal frame with RJ-45 couplers in it. The backside of the panel is where you connect the lines that connect to your individual wall outlets or what-have-you. Now since there is no shared connection in the panel itself, in order to use it to create a network, you need to use the front ports to connect into something. So on the ones I looked at, the fronts are all connected using short cables to a switch. That switch then connects to "the internet" :ph34r: (there's a bunch of stuff in-between the switch and the internet)

Troubleshooting a link can be tricky. I recommend that you use the labels on the panel to match the labels on your ports. So you can easily look at the wall and know which port to look at on the panel. Depending on the complexity of your network, you have these segments:

- between PC and wall outlet
- between wall outlet and back of the panel (cable goes through wall)
- between front of panel to other device (switch)
- etc

In the three segment arrangement, you can test each easily. I use an old router or some device with a link light and just check each end. Easiest to have to swap out a cable that is not in the wall for obvious reasons. I think over the past 9 years I've had to replace a few patch cables and a couple cables between computer and the wall. Not that the cables necessarily went bad, but maybe they fell out of tolerance.

Obviously, your arrangement will vary from the example above. There is no right or wrong way to use a patch panel, and you can even use them without running cables through walls if you wanted to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, COKEDUDEUSF said:

I apologize if this is something easy. I have never used a patch panel before. No matter what I try I am not able to get an internet connection through the patch panel. This is a panduit dp5e patch panel. I have tried running a cable from the router to patch panel. I have tried running a cable from the switch to the patch panel. Neither method work. I have noticed that the lights do not turn on either way. Is this patch panel supposed to have some kind of power supply for the lights? I do not see a way to plug it in. Am I missing some part I need? The router and switch both work fine.

This one?

http://www.panduit.com/heiler/SpecificationSheets/D-COSP228--WW-ENG-dp5epatchpanel-WEB.pdf

AFAICT it comes "not-wired", and it would make no sense to have the Punchdown tool: PDT110 as accessory:

https://www.panduit.com/en/products/copper-systems/connectors/connector-tools-accessories/pdt110.html

if this wasn't the case.

The patch panel is intended to provide an easy to connect/disconnect (RJ-45 sockets) but "on the back" these are not connected to anything (until you assemble it - say - in a rack and connect the cables).

jaclaz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

backside picture for reference:

4NenZmrl.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Tripredacus said:

backside picture for reference:

 

backside picture of what?

It doesn't look like a puchdown one, here there are pictures of the specific model:

https://www.cableorganizer.com/panduit/patch-panels.htm

06-dp485e-back.jpg

It seems like connections are 4+4, similar to the ones in this video:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, jaclaz said:

backside picture of what?

It doesn't look like a puchdown one

It is a Panduit dp5e, just as in the op. After further research, this model number is just the frame and not for the modules. The one I posted a picture of is the DP5E with Cat6 MiniJack modules installed. You can get this model with punchdown modules or other types.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tripredacus said:

It is a Panduit dp5e, just as in the op. After further research, this model number is just the frame and not for the modules. The one I posted a picture of is the DP5E with Cat6 MiniJack modules installed. You can get this model with punchdown modules or other types.

Good :). let's wait for the OP to detail what he actually has in his hands.

As side-side note, Panduit stuff is generally speaking very good, but navigating their catalogs is IMHO usually a nightmare, they have a crazy way of naming things and they continuosly (or way too often for my tastes) change models (and names) :angry:.

jaclaz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...