Is it possible to run Windows 2000 on a Dell Inspiron 15R-5537

On 7/12/2020 at 5:53 PM, burd said:

try it , but i still wouldn't keep my hopes high , its a 50-50 chance

I did. Still got a BSOD with the same error code. I am going to try WinSetupfromUSB.

5 hours ago, GD 2W10 said:

I did. Still got a BSOD with the same error code. I am going to try WinSetupfromUSB.

Tried it with just SP5.1 integrated and also SP5.1 + two different drivers integrated separately. It loads devices much faster with WinSetupFromUSB but I still got a BSOD with 0x0000007B.

Edited by GD 2W10

2 hours ago, GD 2W10 said:

Tried it with just SP5.1 integrated and also SP5.1 + two different drivers integrated separately. It loads devices much faster with WinSetupFromUSB but I still got a BSOD with 0x0000007B.

Well obviously , it cant load the needed drivers to install ,0x0000007B means it cannot get a disk to install on , the only way would be to get the AHCI drivers working somehow or change to IDE/ATA Mode , this issue doesnt happen in Vista and above ofcourse due to Microsoft having inbuilt basic drivers.

7 minutes ago, GD 2W10 said:

I was able to get XP on the Dell. 

it supports text mode drivers , worked for me too remember? im afraid you have hit a dead end in terms of getting W2K to work , sorry i couldnt be of much help :( , even the win-raid drivers used to write in their readme files that the drivers might work for w2k but its not supported

• 3 weeks later...

I have tried one of BWC's drivers and the Uni-ATA drivers, but I still get an error. I also tried to install W2k setup files on a VM then backup the Windows 2000 installtion and restore it on my Dell with Macrium Reflect. It freezes on, "Starting Windows". Are there any other Universal AHCI drivers? Or could I try an unattend installation of Windows 2000?

Edited by GD 2W10

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/15/2020 at 5:55 PM, burd said:

it supports text mode drivers , worked for me too remember? im afraid you have hit a dead end in terms of getting W2K to work , sorry i couldnt be of much help :( , even the win-raid drivers used to write in their readme files that the drivers might work for w2k but its not supported

Someone got NT 3.51 on a Skylake computer on SATA mode, that should mean it is possible for me to install W2K on that machine, right?

Edited by GD 2W10

1 hour ago, GD 2W10 said:

Someone got NT 3.51 on a Skylake computer on SATA mode, that should mean it is possible for me to install W2K on that machine, right?

should be possible yes , but he mightve used IDE mode from the bios/uefi

Edited by burd

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2020 at 8:02 PM, burd said:

should be possible yes , but he mightve used IDE mode from the bios/uefi

He gave me a Windows 2000 ISO, and I was able to install it. Thank you for your attempt to help me.