Too many entries in run once

boskap

RE:

at the end of the batch file.....call.....

rundll32.exe iernonce.dll,RunOnceExProcess

Q: would that not reload the same batch?

And i'm sure i'm not the only person around here itching to hear more about the variable stuff :rolleyes:

anyone? :D

and i dunno but maybe it could be a good idea to restart this thread anew?

I doubt too many ppl are going to want to sift thru the german expressions :)

hehe

Hmmm wondering if there is any possibiliy in having multiple RegOnceEx's

like for example

RegOnceEx01.cmd finishes and goes to RegOnceEX02 and 03 an so on until all the work is done, without rebooting? :) (retaining the nice simple processing window)

any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated :rolleyes:

(45 lines of output and growing)

i think the last steps of the first one is to run a second bat/cmd file that files the registry again.

and then the next line would be to run:

something like this:

REG ADD %KEY%\999 /VE /D "Installing More Applications" /fREG ADD %KEY%\999 /V 01 /D "%CDROM%\software\RunOneEx2.cmd" /fREG ADD %KEY%\999 /V 02 /D "%CDROM%\software\rundll32.exe iernonce.dll,RunOnceExProcess" /f

I think that will work. Or pur the last line in the CMD file.

It works, kind of.

The second instance of RunOnceEx has a retired entry that never executes.

Extract this zip and place it in the apps folder in C:\ or whatever your systemdrive is. Execute RunOnceEx1.cmd (this is what would be launched via cmdlines.txt)

This should help to understand it better.

example.zip

example.zip

It works, kind of.

The second instance of RunOnceEx has a retired entry that never executes.

Thnx Aaron

What exactly do you mean by kind of? :) And I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that (retired entry that never executes?) either. :rolleyes:

I Can't test it under 2K (setting up XP unattended) so the .cmd's only return errors.

speaking of which this may be slightly unrelated to the topic but I hope setting this up under 2K (when running installshield -R setups, etc) the output will stil work? :D

btw awesome work on the Unattended Install Howto :D

http://unattended.msfn.org/index.htm (for those that don't know)

Aaron you rule!, amazingly fast response :D

Thanks again!

btw..

for reference for everyone... :)

(for those who may also add display configs to their unattendes)

how many entries (lines of display output) could you say fit into the RunOnceEx dialog at the default display setting? Estimates will do. (And what is the default these days looks like 800x600 at least)

if anyone knows the rest feel free to add: :rolleyes:

@ 640x480

@ 800x600

@ 1024x768

@ 1280x720

@ etc.

still finalising my beta 1 (lan unnattended for now) heh :D

just out of curiousity, why would you have RunOnceEX call another batch file.....

if you use GUIRunOnce, you could have one MASSIVE command file with each section seperated with the

I'm not entirely sure if the batch will stop and wait for the RunOnce box to finish, might need start /wait or soemthing, but that will prevent your

"retired" entry.

Then you have one file.

just out of curiousity, why would you have RunOnceEX call another batch file.....

if you use GUIRunOnce, you could have ...

http://gosh.msfnhosting.com/using_runonceex.htm :

"During setup the RunOnceEx key is only processed at the 13 min mark because of Outlook Express. The RunOnceEx key is run before cmdlines.txt is run. So if you use cmdlines.txt or svcpack.inf to import the runonceex settings they won't run until first logon."

http://unattended.msfn.org/xp/timeline.htm :

6. svcpack.inf executes at T-13 minute stage

7. cmdlines.txt executes at T-12 minute stage

8. [setupParams] executes from winnt.sif at T-9 minute stage

9. Saves Settings

10. Deletes temporary files then reboots...

» First Logon

1. Windows XP logs you in and loads personal settings

2. Both [GuiRunOnce] from winnt.sif and RunOnceEx executes at the same time

3. Desktop and Taskbar loads.

Speaking of which...Aaron :) I believe your extremely helpfull great looking guide has us putting RunOnceEx into cmdlines.txt

thats what i've done (soon to be run)

But...I think i saw mention elsewhere in the forum that RunOnceEx could also be run from [GUIUnnattended](Unnattended.inf/Winint.inf) also?

So I wonder how RunOnceEx beats out cmdlines.txt :rolleyes:

But...I think i saw mention elsewhere in the forum that RunOnceEx could also be run from [GUIUnnattended]

its [GUIRunOnce] inside of the winnt.sif file.

2. Both [GuiRunOnce] from winnt.sif and RunOnceEx executes at the same time

taken from your quote above.

I don't really think you understood what I said, but oh well. If you want me to try to explain let me know.

As for the outlook express thing and executing the RunOnceEX entries, that's refering to that fact that IF you import keys at cmdlines.txt or svcpack.inf they won't run untill the first restart. However if you import them at [setupParams] then they will run prior to cmdlines.txt executing (if they don't get overwritten.)

But...I think i saw mention elsewhere in the forum that RunOnceEx could also be run from [GUIUnnattended](Unnattended.inf/Winint.inf) also?

Yeah...um....did you even read my post above? :)

by call another batch, I mean you have one batch file import, the RUnOnceEX keys, then in RunOnceEX you have another ifle that imports another set of keys and so on.....why not just have one?

"Yeah Uhm". :D I don't know how you got those fitty stars on your arshe because you misinterpreted what my reply was about yourself. You may have a point but doesnt mean that people don't get the jist of what your talking about. I was merely answering YOUR question, and at the same time enlightening anyone else who may NOT know. Oh well i suppose there always has to be a smartass somewhere eh. :)

Anyway, I do appreciate the enlightenment

Now please do tell

where ARE the [setupParams] in an "Unattended" Install? :rolleyes:

ic....well I don't believe you answered my question, as mine was more rhetorical, and answered later on in that very same post.

As for [setupParams], I believe you would learn more then from more telling you, if you looked in your ref.chm file included witht eh deploy.cab file on your Windows XP CD. If you search [setupParams] you will find an entry pertaining to that. If you were to use this to have your keys executed at T-12 or so, then you would call your batch file like you would form cmdlines.txt but in the entry for [setupParams]

your answering your own questions as well as others, ok i get it :)

Argh do you think everyone who steps into this forum is a coder or something?

try reading my post over again

maybe then you'll understand?

And not everyone has all day to go digging through cabs

Where is this file yoour talking about and how does it get called into the Unattended Install? Please :rolleyes:

I'm trying to get this thing finished already

not do it 10 different ways

Emm N/M Lack of sleep? :D

either that or you were editing :D

guess i'll look into it later