Cloudflare ESNI Checker

Sampei.Nihira

Looks like it will be a while before browsers supporting encrypted SNI come to the XP platform:

On the browser side, our friends at Firefox tell us that they expect to add encrypted SNI support [the week of Sept. 24, 2018] to Firefox Nightly (keep in mind that the encrypted SNI spec is still under development, so it’s not stable just yet).

If it's not even in the release builds of FF yet, I doubt we'll see it ported to Basilisk/Pale Moon (and thence to @roytam1's Serpent/New Moon) anytime soon.

Personally, I'd like to see it, albeit as an "opt-in" option where I could select my own DNS servers rather than Mozilla or whoever selecting them for me. The idea is to try to get ESNI and DoH/DoT as common as HTTPS has become.

But it's pretty clear from the two threads linked above that MC isn't interested. My only hope is that @roytam1 can merge the relevant commits directly from Mozilla's code.

11 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Personally, I'd like to see it, albeit as an "opt-in" option where I could select my own DNS servers rather than Mozilla or whoever selecting them for me. The idea is to try to get ESNI and DoH/DoT as common as HTTPS has become.

But it's pretty clear from the two threads linked above that MC isn't interested. My only hope is that @roytam1 can merge the relevant commits directly from Mozilla's code.

this requires lots of changes in necko component(mozilla's networking component) since the difference is huge between 52esr and trunk for merging TRR and ESNI.

Edited by roytam1

At this point it's premature to do anything more than preliminary research anyhow. The ESNI spec isn't even finalized yet.

My hope is, if Mozilla adopts the changes, Google will follow; if that happens it'll be a lot tougher for MC to resist. But that's probably years down the road; by that time we'll be fighting to keep even Win 7 alive.