windows 8 activation message

COKEDUDEUSF

I keep getting harassed to activate my Windows 8. So I do as it says. I try to activate Windows and it never works. I have a legal version of Windows that I bought from Toshiba so I don't understand what the problem is. 

When I do the change pc settings, activate It says can not activate right now. 

When I do this method from an elevated command prompt I get the message use slui.exe.

Slmgr /ipk XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX

When I use slui.exe It says can not be activated right now. 

The two options I have found to disable this message are below. Its ridiculous that I have to do this when I have a legal version of Windows. 

Open Regedit

then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\sppsvc and right side select Start the right click and Modify change value to 4.

Open Regedit. 

Then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion \SoftwareProtectionPlatform\Activation

In the right pane of the registry editor, you will find REG_DWORD value ‘Manual’. Right-click on it and select Modify. In the Value Data window which appears, change the DWORD value to 1.

The default is 0 which means auto-activation is enabled. Changing the value to 1 will disable auto-activation.

Close the Registry Editor and restart your system.

Not sure if it makes a difference but I use the slmgr.vbs -ipk with a dash not a slash. Are you connected to the Internet when you try to activate? Also, I usually follow up the -ipk switch with slmgr.vbs -ato to force the PC to to connect and verify the product ID. Afterwards you have to reboot or logoff for the activation message to change on the Windows System property page. Hope that helps.

1 hour ago, BYTE-ME said:

Not sure if it makes a difference but I use the slmgr.vbs -ipk with a dash not a slash. Are you connected to the Internet when you try to activate? Also, I usually follow up the -ipk switch with slmgr.vbs -ato to force the PC to to connect and verify the product ID. Afterwards you have to reboot or logoff for the activation message to change on the Windows System property page. Hope that helps.

It still tells me to use slui.exe.

Yes, it says exactly what you should run (using SLUI) to see the actual error... because some dumb reason, Slmgr can't tell you what the error is. So when you run slmgr -ato, and it says something like "On a computer running Microsoft Windows non-core edition, run slui.exe 0x00 0x00000000 to display the error text"

If you run the exact command it says in that message, it will show you the error text which will give the answer to whatever hex code it shows you in the message. Running that command only shows you the translation of the hex code in the error and does nothing else.

If you want to troubleshoot your activation issue, run this in an elevated command prompt and past the report.txt into here and I can take a look see.

Licensingdiag.exe -report %userprofile%\desktop\report.txt -log %userprofile%\desktop\repfiles.cab

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/28/2018 at 10:00 AM, Tripredacus said:

Yes, it says exactly what you should run (using SLUI) to see the actual error... because some dumb reason, Slmgr can't tell you what the error is. So when you run slmgr -ato, and it says something like "On a computer running Microsoft Windows non-core edition, run slui.exe 0x00 0x00000000 to display the error text"

If you run the exact command it says in that message, it will show you the error text which will give the answer to whatever hex code it shows you in the message. Running that command only shows you the translation of the hex code in the error and does nothing else.

If you want to troubleshoot your activation issue, run this in an elevated command prompt and past the report.txt into here and I can take a look see.

Licensingdiag.exe -report %userprofile%\desktop\report.txt -log %userprofile%\desktop\repfiles.cab

Here it is.

<DiagReport>
<LicensingData>
  <ToolVersion>6.2.9200.16384</ToolVersion>
  <LicensingStatus>SL_LICENSING_STATUS_UNLICENSED</LicensingStatus>
  <LicensingStatusReason>0xC004F014</LicensingStatusReason>
  <LocalGenuineState>SL_GEN_STATE_INVALID_LICENSE</LocalGenuineState>
  <LocalGenuineResultP>0</LocalGenuineResultP>
  <LastOnlineGenuineResult></LastOnlineGenuineResult>
  <GraceTimeMinutes>0</GraceTimeMinutes>
  <TotalGraceDays>0</TotalGraceDays>
  <ValidityExpiration></ValidityExpiration>
  <ActivePartialProductKey>MY2MG</ActivePartialProductKey>
  <ActiveProductKeyPid2>00179-60919-86364-AAOEM</ActiveProductKeyPid2>
  <OSVersion>6.2.9200.2.00010300.0.0.101</OSVersion>
  <ProductName>Windows 8</ProductName>
  <ProcessorArchitecture>x64</ProcessorArchitecture>
  <EditionId>Core</EditionId>
  <BuildLab>9200.win8_gdr.130502-1503</BuildLab>
  <TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-04:00)</TimeZone>
  <ActiveSkuId></ActiveSkuId>
  <ActiveSkuDescription></ActiveSkuDescription>
  <ProductUniquenessGroups></ProductUniquenessGroups>
  <ActiveProductKeyPKeyId></ActiveProductKeyPKeyId>
  <ActiveProductKeyPidEx>05426-01796-091-986364-02-1033-9200.0000-0152014</ActiveProductKeyPidEx>
  <ActiveProductKeyChannel>OEM:DM</ActiveProductKeyChannel>
  <ActiveVolumeCustomerPid></ActiveVolumeCustomerPid>
  <OfflineInstallationId></OfflineInstallationId>
  <DomainJoined>false</DomainJoined>
  <ComputerSid>S-1-5-21-4066163444-779131421-1703684211</ComputerSid>
  <ProductLCID>1033</ProductLCID>
  <UserLCID>1033</UserLCID>
  <SystemLCID>1033</SystemLCID>
  <CodeSigning>SIGNED_INFO_PRS_SIGNED</CodeSigning>
  <ServiceAvailable>false</ServiceAvailable>
  <OemMarkerVersion>0x00020001</OemMarkerVersion>
  <OemId>TOSQCI</OemId>
  <OemTableId>TOSQCI00</OemTableId>
  <Manufacturer>TOSHIBA</Manufacturer>
  <Model>Satellite P75-A</Model>
  <InstallDate>20171003050148.000000-240</InstallDate>
</LicensingData>
<HealthCheck>
  <Result>PASS</Result>
  <TamperedItems></TamperedItems>
</HealthCheck>
<GenuineAuthz>
  <ServerProps>0x80070422</ServerProps>
</GenuineAuthz>
</DiagReport>

There seems to be some information missing from the report... BUT it also notes the service is not available. You need to revert any changes you made in regards to the Software Licensing Protection Service, and then run the report again.

Based just on this, it would appear that the active product key cannot unlock the OS. It will not try to activate if LocalGenuineState says anything besides Genuine. Does this computer have a Windows COA on it or does it just have the Windows 8 sticker?

examples: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Hardware.aspx?tab=PCPurchase

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2018 at 9:24 AM, Tripredacus said:

There seems to be some information missing from the report... BUT it also notes the service is not available. You need to revert any changes you made in regards to the Software Licensing Protection Service, and then run the report again.

Based just on this, it would appear that the active product key cannot unlock the OS. It will not try to activate if LocalGenuineState says anything besides Genuine. Does this computer have a Windows COA on it or does it just have the Windows 8 sticker?

examples: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Hardware.aspx?tab=PCPurchase

Whats a COA? I bought this Toshiba laptop at best buy so I do not understand what the problem is.