Could We Please get a non-Beta build?

NoelC

Thanks.  For a long while I saw no failures, but since I put in the released version of Aero Glass is out it's been happening.  I suspect the change in timing, as you have mentioned.

Right now winlogon.exe is crashing almost every time I boot up the system, even when I don't set it up to auto-logon.  The sequence goes like this:

1. Blue 4 pane Windows logo.
  2. Logon screen background showing "Preparing Windows"
  3. Brief black screen.
  4. Logon prompt.

Right now I just booted it up and saw no failures.  When that happens, item 3 above is missing.

When I find a little time I'll definitely experiment with your idea of using UxTSBLoader to see how that changes the behavior. 

-Noel

15 hours ago, NoelC said:

I am not seeing crashes while using the new Release build....

I just installed the Chrome browser to test...  I don't seem to be able to crash it by dragging a tab off a window to make a new window.  Nor can I reproduce a crash by moving small windows.

This is the full set of files I'm running.... <<<image removed, and emphasis added above >>>

-Noel

FYI, the crashes I've been experiencing when a dragging off a Chrome browser tab are easily reproducible on both of my Creators Update machines.

Here are the steps required to consistently create an aeroglass dwm.exe crash by detaching a Chrome tab:
1) Open Chrome Browser, 2) Create 2 or more tabs on a single window, 3) Click and hold either of the non-leftmost tabs and drag it downwards to detach it from the main window, 4) screen freezes temporarily and then dwm.exe crashes and reloads, creating a mini-dump file every time.

Notes:  Dragging off non-leftmost tabs upwards or sideways does NOT produce a crash. Dragging off the leftmost tab, in any direction, does NOT produce a crash. The new aeroglass, otherwise, is running stable on my machines. I'm not using any custom atlas or themepack.  I've installed aeroglass using the 'schedule.bat' method (so it's not running on modern app frames).

Here is a minidump I just created using the above steps:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oi819lfclqkzoq2/minidump-08-19-15-41-08.7z

Thanks for looking into this BIg Muscle (and NoeIC or anyone else helping him!) -JT

Edited by JTB3

16 hours ago, NoelC said:

Thanks.  For a long while I saw no failures, but since I put in the released version of Aero Glass is out it's been happening.  I suspect the change in timing, as you have mentioned.

It's pretty random, just the nature of that method. When I had Win10 as main OS, it would occasionally throw me back to login prompt while on the welcome screen with the spinning circle, but I haven't experienced BSOD at the time.

Congratulations Big Muscle!

The latest v1.5.5.953 release is working great and has fixed the detached Chrome tab issue!

599a2c9a60d10_Aero_Glass_for_Win8_-_Google_Chrome_2017-08-20_17_34_16.png.f82f6281d713335501911961e994e58d.png

Many thanks! -JT :)

Edited by JTB3