"Non-destructive repair" of Win 7 Pro 64-bit in a dual-booting PC

glnz

To all -

My Dell Optiplex 7010 MT dual-boots Win 7 Pro 64-bit and Win 10 Pro 64-bit.  Because I have nothing better to do with my time, I might do a "non-destructive repair" of ONLY the Win 7 Pro 64-bit, but only if I can figure out how to do that without ruining my dual-boot.  That's the big question - how do I do it while retaining the Win 10 partition and the other hidden boot-load/MBR partitions I have for the dual-booting?

And I've been doing some reading about "non-destructive repair" if I end up trying it. There are some other possible issues before I even get started:

First - I've succeeded in downloading a Win 7 Pro 64-bit img file from Heidoc.net Win Download Tool, but that source and some other folks warn that, on my Dell system, I might need the "COEM" version and not the plain version. What do you think? My machine is a Dell Optiplex 7010 Mini-Tower, and I originally installed the Win 7 from an extra Dell CD that Dell was kind enough to send me (not from a plain vanilla Microsoft CD).

Second - before I do anything with the Win 7 Pro 64-bit img file, should I first try to use NTLite (for the first time ever) to integrate into the Win 7 Pro 64-bit img file the updates that Ed Bott recommends at  Four steps to reduce the pain of Windows 7 installations using cumulative updates - Tech Pro Research ?

Third - if your answer to "Second" is yes, please note how Ed recommends first installing KB3020369: April 2015 Servicing Stack Update for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 and then installing his others. I've never used NTLite, but I'm guessing it doesn't work in stages (or does it)? How do I do things in the order Ed Bott recommends?

Thanks !!!

A "non-destructive repair" sort of works only for the most plain vanilla setups, when it does work at all.
One of the reasons I create periodic image backups of the OSes partitions is to avoid having to do that ever.
Play tic-tac-toe online with a thousand adversaries at once or watch all the E.R. episodes in order, from season 1 on, instead: those are much more worthwhile activities for one to do than performig a "non-destructive repair".
Be warned that a "non-destructive repair" is a euphemistic oxymoron and that, by starting it, you'll be in for a see of sorrow.

3 hours ago, dencorso said:

Be warned that a "non-destructive repair" is a euphemistic oxymoron and that, by starting it, you'll be in for a see of sorrow.

:whistle:And don't forget that usually "Ed Bott's good advice" is considered as well an oxymoron...

jaclaz

@glnz: You're fully aware I usually tell you "you're being too paranoid, relax!", right?
Fine. So, in this particular case honesty compels me to say "you're *NOT* being paranoid enough!!!": in what relates to the so-called "non-destructive repair", no paranoia is too much. Just my 2¢, of course.

Ok, will need to be a tad bit more specific.

There are AFAIK two distinct Hall's Laws:

http://www.murphys-laws.com/murphy/murphy-laws.html

Hall's Law:
 Anyone who isn't paranoid simply isn't paying attention.

(Another) Hall's Law
 Minor problem isn't.

that seemingly BOTH apply in this case. :w00t::ph34r:

Assume that a non-destructive repair isn't, so treat it exactly like  you would treat a destructive one.

Simply image your system "as is" by making a full disk image or a clone, then attempt the "presumably non-destructive" repair, if after all it turns out to be destructive, all you have to do is to re-image back to current state.

In theory you reinstall/repair the windows 7 (and the Windows 7 should boot and temporarily lose the Windows 10 booting) and then reinstall/repair the Windows 10.

This is of course greatly risky as if the Windows 10 reinstall/repair fails you likely lose BOTH the Windows 7 and the windows 10 booting

Besides making the full disk image (that is however STRONGLY suggested, I would define it a VITAL pre-requirement) most probably you can make also an image/clone of the "special" boot partition only, as restoring just that should be enough to bring you back to the current working dual boot situation even if the "plain" repair fails.

Anyway, you will need to provide a lot more information if you want/need more specific guidance, like the exact way the disk is partitioned, which drive letters are currently used, whether you use (I presume BIOS) BIOS or UEFI booting and if you currently can boot successfully (even if possibly with some minor issue once booted) both the Windows 7 and the Windows 10.

jaclaz

Gents - thanks for looking out for me.  MSFN always feel like ... family !!!

I always intended to make a complete disk backup first, using Macrium Reflect free.  Everything.  Not to worry.

And as it turns out, my wife has more important things for me this weekend anyway.  So much for hobbies.

FYI - Everything is currently actually working, and it's UEFI, but Secure Boot is turned off and some legacy something is turned on in the Dell Optiplex 7010 MT BIOS settings. (Legacy ROMs?)