NT 4.0 Bye Bye

it's being dropped by ms i would imagine a large number of places will be using it for some time yet, windows 2000 would beat it by a mile because of active directory so bye bye :)

I will

I actually got this to autobuild for my network installs years ago. Now everyone wants XP... Where's my XP... When you gonna rollout XP... blah blah blah

Real men still use NT!

Manny business’s still use NT4 and install it on current top of the line hardware, simply because many insurance companies only have certain "certified" operating systems.

Insurance companies are pretty picky about what they'll allow coverage for, though in this day and age, it's simply a matter of them being behind the times and ensured businesses have to suffer.

There's also the age old "if it's not broken, don't fix it" ideology, NT4 isn't very common, but it's still going to be around for quite some time.

but 2003 server to me is way better because of it's features.

Agreed.

Also, NT4 had it's day...now every NT4 server should be on a 2000 Server platform by now...then in 2-4 years a 2003 Server platform...then some other non windows server platform...since all "new" windows editions are going to suck hardy if they don't already do...longhorn is a joke so far that I've seen/used/screamed at it. I'm about to install Linux and get it over with now while I still can. :)

but 2003 server to me is way better because of it's features.

Agreed.

Also, NT4 had it's day...now every NT4 server should be on a 2000 Server platform by now...then in 2-4 years a 2003 Server platform...then some other non windows server platform...since all "new" windows editions are going to suck hardy if they don't already do...longhorn is a joke so far that I've seen/used/screamed at it. I'm about to install Linux and get it over with now while I still can. :rolleyes:

Longhorn isnt due for release for atleast a year, maybe two - i would leave juding the OS until its being shipped? :)

Chris.

Longhorn is the new concept and granted alot will change, but Blackcomb is the next server OS so, 2003 will be around for a while. I didn't mind NT4, but once we started using 2000 I was never going back, 2003 I feel is only a slight improvement over 2000, I right now don't feel an upgrade to 2003 is as pertinent as Microsoft would like you to believe. Atleat not until Longhorn. Just my opinion, but in reply to the actual topic, I will not miss it, good ridance.