Installing Firefox

HoppaLong

On 12/21/2016 at 9:47 AM, monroe said:

I remember seeing versions in the 30's and 40's some time back ...

I remember when Firefox 2.5 was current! It wasn't all that long ago. 2008, I think?

If they hadn't adopted that rapid release nonsense that Google seemingly invented, we'd probably only just now be reaching Firefox version 10 :)

c

I wondered why Firefox was jumping these version numbers so frequently. The FF versions in the 30s and early 40s ... I was using some of them as a current User Agent for my older K-Meleon browser. It mostly works almost 100% for most web sites ... don't get "your browser is out of date" messages and all that.

As I mentioned earlier ... I never worked with FF until the Pale Moon "dropping WinXP" announcement ... then after I download FF and get all my settings the way I want them, I learn it's dropping WinXP also ... although it will be another year or two ... maybe a little longer.

I really don't understand why Chrome, FF, and Opera all jumped on this silly "major version number only" bandwagon. All it does is obscure the difference between minor bug-fix updates and major feature upgrades. What's wrong with the v.r.m-style version numbers every other software product uses?