smeared video

Asp

I've got a LG LCD monitor connected to a Windows XP PC. Worked fine for the last year or so.

Recently I noticed the video was smeared -- see attached. Every image smears to the right. This lasted for about a week, then one day it was back to being sharp.

Today it's smeared again.

Pretty sure this is not a software/ driver issue, since as I said, worked fine before and again, with no setup changes.

So there is some hardware issue. Either:

1) The onboard Intel video -- DH61WW http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/intel-desktop-boards-with-intel-h61-express-chipset/intel-desktop-board-dh61ww.html

2) The cable (VGA)

3) The monitor LG W2043T

When I set this up my monitor was just VGA, so I economised and got a PC with only VGA. Then that monitor died and the current LG monitor also has digital input, so now I could get a video card with digital output if the PC side is the problem. But if the problem is the monitor, that would just be wasted.

I know the way to work it out is to swap these out, but I don't have a spare PC or monitor. Eventually I can get a laptop with VGA and give that a try, but in the meantime, is there a smoking gun here pointing to a specific issue?

smear.jpg

Does this happen immediately, or at all times, with this monitor or it is fine after a while and then slowly become like this?

The first thing would be to try a different cable or display. If you can't then you need to see if this issue happens using other "drivers" or OS. Does this effect happen in the BIOS, or during boot? You can also try booting a Linux live-cd which would use its own video drivers, to see how that looks.

The appropriate term is ghosting. Be aware if when you search for this on your own, to put in your search terms LCD, and also to make sure what you are reading is not referring to motion blur or ghosting issues due to motion.

Thanks for the magic word "ghosting".

That led me to this: http://www.madebymark.com/2009/02/25/2009225how-to-fix-lcd-monitor-ghost-images-html/

And that said it could be due to electrical interference with the cable, e.g. some other device's cable too close to it.

So I moved the cable and the ghost was exorcised. Now that I think about it, I had a keyboard spill and swapped the keyboard and moved the cables in the process, though I never unplugged the video.

Thanks.

Now I'll need another excuse before I upgrade my monitor and video.

Edited by Asp