Windows Updates -- Problem

thecavern

16 hours ago, MrMaguire said:

KB3139852 does the trick. For whatever reason, the pages hosting the update on Microsoft's website seem to be unavailable...

Here are the direct links for Vista and 7:

<--snipped-->

Thank you for posting the direct links. I had suffered a day of "page not available" on the MS site for this patch.

I have been reinstalling Vista x64, waiting twice over ten hours in WU with nothing but the CPU meter at 100% the whole while. I had already updated the Update Agent.

Not entirely sure that KB3139852 + reboot did it for me. The wait for the updates to appear on a clean SP2 install was still over two hours. Then I was presented with a list of 175 updates! All went smoothly after that.

2 hours ago, lost_packet said:

Thank you for posting the direct links. I had suffered a day of "page not available" on the MS site for this patch.

I have been reinstalling Vista x64, waiting twice over ten hours in WU with nothing but the CPU meter at 100% the whole while. I had already updated the Update Agent.

Not entirely sure that KB3139852 + reboot did it for me. The wait for the updates to appear on a clean SP2 install was still over two hours. Then I was presented with a list of 175 updates! All went smoothly after that.

No problem. I actually got the links from a site that has something to do with ManageEngine.

I used to do a lot of fresh Vista and 7 installs for work back in 2011/12, and the initial check for updates wasn't very quick even then. The NT 5.x update system has always been superior to me, with the checks being very quick in comparison.

From what I've read here, there is an update that reduces the CPU hogging, but I haven't needed to install that. On my Vista systems rebuilt recently (within the last week), Windows Update returned results within an hour or so, with the CPU utilisation hovering around 50%, with the load being split evenly across a T7200 Core 2 Duo.

This one is v226 - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/946928
The OLD package. 

This one is v256 - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2887535
The NEW package, containing TWO WUA installs. Unzip it with (e.g.) 7-zip and se3e what I mean. ;)  Downlevel=v256 / the OTHER one is v320, and a "system detector" Bootstrap to determine which one to install. Search for "WUWEB.DLL" (in System32 Folder) and look at the Version (right-click). :yes: If "installed" via Windows Update you'll find it in (for XP) "Downloaded Program Files" folder as well as "System32". XP isn't much different (in some respects) from Vista.

What I'm saying is that you said

On Friday, March 25, 2016 at 10:56 PM, MrMaguire said:

This is on a Core 2 Duo with the latest update agent too.

but didn't say where it came from.

On Friday, March 25, 2016 at 5:41 PM, MrMaguire said:

It was the most current 64-bit version at least 5 days ago.

Via Windows Updated or directly installed (from where)? I'd be interested to know what Version you currently have. :unsure:

Edit - look here (apparently you already have it, maybe?)
http://erpman1.tripod.com/vsx64upd.html

Edited by submix8c
Added somewhat valuable link.

10 hours ago, submix8c said:

Search for "WUWEB.DLL" (in System32 Folder) and look at the Version (right-click).

I have v256.

10 hours ago, submix8c said:

Via Windows Updated or directly installed (from where)? I'd be interested to know what Version you currently have.

From here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/949104

I downloaded the version labelled for Windows 7 SP1 - it seems to work just fine on Vista.

13 hours ago, submix8c said:

Via Windows Updated or directly installed (from where)? I'd be interested to know what Version you currently have. :unsure:

My WUWEB.DLL is v256. It was with that one that the search for updates required more than two hours.

:unsure: Seems that MS' "new" WSUS servers require a bit of "updates" of certain components on the Client OS, as has been witnessed as of late. No real problems until the past few months. MSFN has several Topics relating to this subject. That same WUA is the one that "solved" the XP Problem some time ago. Back to square one (for ALL OS) I guess...

Do you know if your root certificates are up to date? I discovered a few years ago that Windows 2000 also required current root certificates to use Windows Update, in addition to other prerequisites:

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-2000/windows-2000-updates-not-working-windows-update-agent-30/66349.html

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2677070

"Users who have disconnected systems will not benefit from this feature improvement. These customers will still have to install the root certificate updates when they are made available. Please see the "More Information" section."

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn265983.aspx

• 1 month later...

After I was able to successfully load KB3139852, everything started working as normal.

Unfortunately, it has started again !!!! Waiting over an hour for a small update to load, then giving up.

This batch of KB updates contains :  3145739, 3144706, 3146963, 3149090, 3147071, 3148851.

If you're also having this problem again and have figured out a solution let me know.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm of the opinion that the problem is not "solved" but the nature of the pending updates is what triggers the long delays.  Thus, after a series of updates, you do a new check and voila, it seems to not take very long.  Then, next cycle, the delays return.

And know this:  Microsoft has NO incentive to solve it.  They WANT you hating your old OS.

That being said, for the May Windows 7 updates I didn't experience long delays for the first time in a long time.

-Noel

4 hours ago, NoelC said:

And know this:  Microsoft has NO incentive to solve it.  They WANT you hating your old OS.

Big businesses and government offices using Windows 7 across the globe should be incentive enough.

FYI, I just completed a Windows Update cycle on a Vista x64 system.  3.5 hours of CPU time to get to the listing of 20 + 3 available updates.  The installation completed in about 5 minutes after that.

It's pretty clear Microsoft is subtly (or sometimes not so subtly) destroying Windows computing as we know it from the inside.  They are more adept at managing and leveraging mediocrity than anyone can imagine.  The pursuit of excellence was so last century.

-Noel