Windows XP on Y510P

spookymulder90

Hello :)

I have a question - Installation of Windows XP is possible on the Lenovo Y510P? (http://www.notebookreview.com/notebookreview/lenovo-ideapad-y510p-review/specs/)  I've seen KernelEx project (now is suspended, I know), that's why I want to try with XP. Last Windows which I like is Windows Vista, but there is a problem with " Interactive Logon Process Initialization has failed" and sometimes BSODs. If yes - someone can give a drivers install method? (there are drivers just for Vista)

If someone haves questions - write.

I apologise for my English. :(

Thanks for help :)

Edited by spookymulder90

I don't know about XP, but speaking of Vista, I tried it on my i5 4460/ H97 machine and I also got those same "Interactive Logon Process Failed" errors, and half the time Windows wouldn't boot because of it. Random services would also fail to start, like Windows Defender, Windows Audio, etc. I did some research and found little information on this issue, but someone else was experiencing the same problem with their haswell machine and one suggestion said it was a software timing issue. I tried changing BIOS settings and whatnot, but the issue still persisted. The problem doesn't exist in 7 or later, so I eventually upgraded.

It sucks that this issue is almost undocumented and remains unfixed, and I guess it won't be anytime soon.

Hello :)

I've seen KernelEx project (now is suspended, I know), that's why I want to try with XP.

Wait a minute.  Where are all the KernelEx threads that were here in the last couple of weeks?  What happened and what did I miss?

:(

I have a feeling that the KEX project involved redistributing Windows files (.dlls, etc), which is not permitted.

Distributing Windows operating system code or components within an unofficial package is considered copyright infringement.

Oh, I think Opticork unfortunately formatted disk and that's why project is suspended (he wrote project will back in March, but I'm not sure, maybe my informations are bad). 

Yes @2008WindowsVista, I had problem like you. On Windows 7 I had problem with updates so now I'm using Windows 8.1 but I really don't like it. That's why I want to try XP. Some suggestions? 

Edited by spookymulder90

I don't know about drivers for your laptop but you have to look up the exact hardware components, pnp ids and see if your manufacturer or a 3rd party system builder has developed a driver for Windows XP or Server 2003 you can use.

I think there can be a problem, many drivers are just for Windows 7 and newer. On Vista I had problem with graphics card and Lenovo programs used to power management. But there must be a method (which I don't know :P ), many people's on this forum are using new machines with Windows 9x or 2000! 

Edited by spookymulder90

If there are only drivers for your hardware components available for Windows 7 or later it will become difficult. You might want to check if you can run Linux on your laptop. If you are determined enough you could then try to port these drivers to Windows XP.

Edited by Acheron