My 1GB ram is faster than my 4GB ram

joseph_msf

Hello,

Why is my 1GB ram faster than 4gb ram? I did a mem test and below are the results.

below is what is written on the ram sticks.

Original ram (2 512mb sticks) is 1gb: DDR2-533 CL4; PC2-4200U-444 10

New 2xstick of 2GB ram: DDR2-533 CL4-4-4 12; PC2-4200 1GBx2

======

Memtest 1gb results

mem copy: 2207 MB/s

mem read: 2978 MB/s

mem write: 1703 MB/s

mem latency: 125.0 ns

memtest 4gb results

mem copy: 2095 MB/s

mem read: 3725 MB/s

mem write: 1527 MB/s

mem latency: 135.7 ns

In my experience, what is written on RAM labels can be wrong. Better to check the SPD info using CPU-Z or a similar tool.

This topic title reminded me of something I noticed during the upgrade history of my home computer. There was a noticeable slowdown in going from an 850 board with 768MB RDRAM to a 865 board with 3GB DDR. I didn't stick with the 865 for too long and ended up using the 850 in another computer.

In my experience, what is written on RAM labels can be wrong. Better to check the SPD info using CPU-Z or a similar tool.

This topic title reminded me of something I noticed during the upgrade history of my home computer. There was a noticeable slowdown in going from an 850 board with 768MB RDRAM to a 865 board with 3GB DDR. I didn't stick with the 865 for too long and ended up using the 850 in another computer.

Hello Tripredacus,

Are you suggesting that I may not have a 4gb ram?  If so, I double check my receipt and order from New egg and indeed they are 2sticks of 2x1gb.  Please let me know. Thanks! I will also look into CPU-z and similar tools.

Joseph