Download Failure Detection

HoppaLong

I drift away from 98SE for a few weeks thinking I will never return. The problem is I
always think of another way to use this system. It's just too useful to abandon forever.

I'm working on a script that can download almost anything without human eyes watching
a monitor. I've run dozens of tests. The script handles most problems, but there are still
glitches I have not anticipated.

I need a single purpose applet that can track a download stream from a manager like
FlashGet. If there are no streaming bytes for a certain period of time (maybe 60 seconds),
the applet will take some action like launching a file.

I have a collection of applets that are great for script building. It seems like there should
be a download failure monitor or detector. I've googled for 30 minutes with no luck.

If FlashGet works on the command line, it should take a timeout parameter and return an error code that the script can check to determine if the download was successful or timed out.

What scripting environment and language are you using?

I've got a very old version of FlashGet. It has good help file. There is no mention of command
line support, but a timeout parameter is an obvious solution. Is there another manager that's
compatible with 98SE and supports commands?

Years ago there was an obscure manager for file sharing (cloud) sites. The name was
"RapidDownload" and it displayed a scrolling text file with commands only. I liked this app!
If you were comfortable at the command line, it worked better than any of the feature packed
downloaders.