DriveVacine on XP... How effective is it?

helpdesk98

kinda off topic, but how effective would running a program like driveVacine (there are freeware versions of software that do the same thing as DV, I just can not remember their names) that locks the drive after you get it to a state you want the system in?

Interesting. My Thinkpad has run XP SP2 Professional for years with no antivirus. Chrome and Firefox = no viruses!

Smart browser habits are a good start. I could infect a Windows 10 machine in ten minutes, just by visiting the wrong web site.

:crazy:

The problem with XP is zero control with browser processes and thereby also scripts and exploits. They run as Administrator with full access to storage areas and registry.
I guess you learn something new ever day. :huh:

(Firefox)+(NoScript)+(AdBlock+) and the only way to "get bitten" is if you actually allow a Script to run (Via NoScript). DON'T ALLOW THEM unless you absolutely *know* thw Website is safe! I'm running an alternate XP right now because my Primary got a Trojan (my fault for trying to read a trojan-infested website). Yay for In-Place-Upgrade, CCleaner, MalwareBytes, SpyBot, and massive registry fixes, etc. (had to go back to an older HIVE backup, dangit!)

"It's not nice to fool Motherload Trojan." ~MotherNature