Project XP boot CD repair.

Roffen

I have an original (not quite true, I bought a copy many years ago, with original MS OEM stickers/reg.code).

It has developed an unrecoverable read error on a section within the i386/DRIVER.CAB file.

I set ImgBurn to ignore the errors and burned a new disk, and installed from that disk. I got a list of missing files that I ignored (ESC) during install:

Files reported missing during installation:

Kodak_dc.icn

mdwmdmsp.dll

nikedrv.sys

rio8drv.sys

riodrv.sys

spnike.dll

sprio600.dll

sprio800.dll

srgm.scm

streamci.dll

tosdvd.sys

tsbvcap.sys

tsbyuv.dll

vdmindvd.sys

wowfax.dll

wowfaxui.dll

paqsb.dll

usrcntra.dll

usrcoina.dll

usrdpa.dll

usrdtea.dll

usfaxa.dll

usrlbva.dll

usrmlnka.exe

usrpbrdba.exe

usrrtosa.dll

usrsdpia.dll

usrshuta.dll

usrsvpia.dll

usrv42a.dll

usrv80a.dll

usrvoica.dll

usrvpa.dll

mouhid.sys

Other than that the installation ran smoothly.

The funny thing is that the files are present when I open the CAB file.

What I am going to do now is to see if I can find the files on one of the other XP disks that I have and replace them.

I have not tried to run the installed version yet by installing my usual utilities. I want to create a boot CD that I don't have to use the ESC key repeatedly to make it run.

Is it correct that the present but corrupted files are reported as missing during installation?

Edited by Roffen

Your best bet would be to copy the driver.cab from another installation or backup (or another CD) and recreate a new CD.

What you see when you "open" a .cab file (which is nothing much different from a .zip archive, i.e. a compressed archive) you are seeing an index f it's contents, most probably the index is fine and only some of the actual files - actually the extents on which the correspondent compressed data is stored - are corrupted.

If the CD has a physical damage (scratch) in some cases it can be recovered by "simply" polishing the surface, you may also want to try some dedicated CD recovery programs and try on a burner (CD/DVD drives capable of burning CD/DVD's tend to be slightly more accurate than no-name, el-cheapo readers and possibly even better, if you have an old reader or burner - i.e. a "slow" one - it is more likely to recover the file).

Maybe even attempting to read the CD at a slow speed using a "speed limiter" such as:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/CD-DVD-Rip-Other-Tools/Nero-DriveSpeed.shtml

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Rimhill.shtml

might be enough to get a "good copy".

jaclaz

I am afraid I have wasted way more time than reaasonable on this project.

Maybe I am overdoing it, wanting to use the original DRIVER.CAB with about 30 kaputt files and replace them with the same files from a different ISO file?

May I assume the installation is ok if I replace the DRIVER.CAB with a different one, and the installation runs its normal course with no appearent errors?

WinISO looks like a useful program but after having replaced all the missing files, something went wrong when I wanted to save and that spoiled the day for me.

I am afraid I am a purist, I always keep polishing things (metaphorically) that work just because I want them to shine even brighter.

Same as I did with radio amateur gear 60 years ago, projects never reached full maturity.

Now it seems I've got a 30-day respite to register my version of XP. The codes with my original OEM CD used to work but they are no longer accepted. Could that have anything to do with the replacement of the DRIVER.CAB file? Is anything bad going to happen at expiration time?

After 30 day it will stop working. Why do You ever need some kind of activation key? If You have entered licensed CD-Key from sticker then simply activate Your copy using Internet. Otherwise you can activate by simply calling MS and, if necessary, explaining what happened.

I don't think activating using Internet is available for XP.

I made a great discovery: I had the two stickers in a sealed envelope with the codes written on the outside!

Except I'd made an errror in both of them.

I also have found out that nothing fatal happens when the 30 days expire, and I presume I'll be asked to register then. I'll wait and see.

Edited by Roffen

I also have found out that nothing fatal happens when the 30 days expire, and I presume I'll be asked to register then. I'll wait and see.

IIRC, you get locked out of the OS.

I'm also fairly certain that internet activation is available on XP, but otherwise I do know telephone activation is an option.

A (translated) reply by a moderator at a local Microsoft forum, July 13 2011:

"If you are using a genuine version of Windows, you can activate anytime when activation has expired. If you cannot activate via Internet you can use the telephone alternative. The consequences of a missing activation, are loss of certain Windows-functions. You still can start the system, install, make backup of files and use other of the main functions."

UPDATE:

I decided not to wait until expiration date. I tried the correct codes but they didn't work. I tried a couple of times and after another reset I opted for activation by Internet, and was surprised by a thank you. Problem gone.

Edited by Roffen

I don't think activating using Internet is available for XP.

I made a great discovery: I had the two stickers in a sealed envelope with the codes written on the outside!

Except I'd made an errror in both of them.

Yes, online and telephone activation is still available. In fact, Microsoft still requires it. The end of support doesn't mean activation goes away. http://www.zdnet.com/article/did-i-just-hear-this-right-microsoft-activation-servers-will-allow-new-xp-installs-after-doomsday/

I have activated XP Professional installs recently and can confirm the process works the same way it always has. There are plenty of new copies of XP available on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=windows+xp+new&_osacat=11226&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC2.A0.H0.Xwindows+xp.TRS1&_nkw=windows+xp&_sacat=11226

• 4 weeks later...

There is something funny with this p.t. latest installation of xp here, done as 'prescribed' - original disk wih a different verson of the DRIVER cab file.

The looks and feel is not quite the same, but the most annoying is login:

When installing from scratch I always have created one user, without password, and that user has by default always automatically been logged in at startup.

But with this installation, the Administrator is the top guy and I have to log him out and then change to my user when the login box shows up.

But not too much of a problem; I'll soon reinstall to a SSD drive and will see if my English XP may be a better choice.

• 1 month later...