XP SP3 - Office 2000 Input

Monroe

I would like to ask others still using MS Office 2000 if they are still downloading monthly Office 2007 updates for having Office 2000 installed with XP SP3.

I have downloaded and installed the two Office 2007 updates for October 2015. However, I am thinking of no longer downloading any more future updates. I do not download the XP POS updates for XP ... my XP updates stopped in April-May 2014 but almost every month since that time I have been getting one, two or three Office 2007 updates ... there were maybe one or two months with no updates.

I'm asking myself ... why keep downloading these updates every month ... I hardly use Office 2000 and when I do need to use it ... I'm always offline anyway.

Office 2000 works just fine for me at this stage ... so do I really need these updates, which I imagine are mostly security updates ... but I'm not 100% sure about that?

I'd like to know what others are doing with the Office 2000 updates. The updates just seem to be taking up more hard drive space for a rarely used program.

Yes, I remain using Office 2000. Yes. I keep installing both the Office 2007 updates, and the POSReady 2009 updates, as well as .NET and Silverlight updates when available... I see no reason to avoid any ot them. In case anything strikes me as doubtful, rest assured I shall post about it, when and if it ever happens.

Well, the updates are for the Office 2007 Compatibility Pack actually... if it's installed, one's gets offered them.

For more about it, you may want to read my thread about installing it on Office 97, which is unsupporte by MS but just works, all right!

dencorso ... thanks for your reply. I was just wondering since the Office 2007 updates that show up every month for Office 2000 are perhaps just some sort of security updates and also since I am "offline" when I use Office 2000 ... are the monthly updates really that necessary?

I will continue to save and apply them ... my real concern is doing a system backup to a DVD ... I am still able to get all the contents onto one DVD but with the Office 2007 updates showing up every month ... my availabe space left on that DVD gets less and less ... one day in the future it will take two DVDs for a backup and the second DVD will have very little on it.

I just did a system backup last Sunday and I keep track of the DVD space used and one of these times the program is going to say ... 2 DVDs will be needed ... right now I am getting the message ... "6 CDs or 1 DVD" are needed for the backup. I don't want to waste a second DVD for just a small amount of backup information.

The XP computer backup done last Sunday seems to be perfect (near 100%) as I have found no mistakes so far ... I clean with five registry cleaners over and over and other cleaners also ... flash updates, shockwave updates, host file updates and many updates are applied at the time of the backup ... of course within a day or two there are newer updates showing up but that's OK ... at the time of the DVD backup everything is as good (perfect) as I can make it.

After the backup has been burned to the DVD then I check everything on the computer to see if anything was missed ... some junk files ... the registry cleaners find nothing and just going around using my checklist.

So I guess I could make this last backup my "Factory CD" ... like what once came in a box with a new computer ... as long as I don't discover or find any mistakes, forgotten items or junk files that were missed over the next few weeks.

I will then only have one DVD and can keep adding the Office 2007 updates as they come out. I need to save some space on that DVD in case I might want to add some new software one day. If I need to use that backup later to fix or repair some damage ... then I can just reinstall all the Office 2007 updates after October 2015.

I want to keep any future backups (if I do any) to that one DVD and not be wasting for the most part a second DVD.

Edited by monroe

Well, the updates are for the Office 2007 Compatibility Pack actually... if it's installed, one's gets offered them.

For more about it, you may want to read my thread about installing it on Office 97, which is unsupporte by MS but just works, all right!

Oooh, I see. Well, I have totally done this with both Office 2000 and Office 97. And it does seem to work just fine. I've used it on Windows 98 as well and it seems to have worked just fine if I remember correctly, but then maybe I didn't use it for anything too complicated to begin with.

I don't know how necessary the Office updates really are. I use Office XP with the File Compatibility pack. I can open and edit newer Office Open XML formats, which is all I find I need.

I have read about quite a few botched updates that have come out of Microsoft lately. I don't know if I would trust what they are releasing these days. I wonder if the elimination of their Trustworthy Computing department has any connection to that.