Software for backup folders

kobe

Hi,

Im searching for a program to backup folders and I come here to ask you, since the ones I tried werent very friendly. I have a SSD (windows partition and data partition) and a HDD (data partition) and I want to backup this:

- my personal folder in SSD to a folder in the HDD (important data)

- my drivers folder in SSD to a backup in the HDD

- windows documents folder in SSD to a backup in HDD (this is to stop losing savegames...)

The requisites of the program are that it doenst create any file in those folders to "remember" them (ANNOYING) and that it is self contained in its own folder, without needing the registry or some weird files in appdata or users or whatever other folder.

Thanks you

Maybe a batch file like:

SSD2HDD.bat

;S: = SSD, H: = HDDcopy /y  S:\MyDocs\*.* H:\SSD.bak\MyDocscopy /y  S:\Drivers\*.* H:\SSD.bak\Driverscopy /y  S:\Windows\*.* H:\SSD.bak\Windows
Use Xcopy to copy subfolders.

I use Winrar for backup of some of my important folders to HDD. This is the batch file:

REM @echo offsetlocalcd C:\PATH\TO\THISFOLDER"%programfiles%\WinRAR\rar.exe" a -r -dh -m5 -mct -rr100p -ag{NAMEOFTHISFOLDER_}YYYY{_}MM{_}DD{_}N G:\BACKUPFOLDER\cd C:\PATH\TO\ANOTHERFOLDER"%programfiles%\WinRAR\rar.exe" a -r -dh -m5 -mct -rr100p -ag{NAMEOFANOTHERFOLDER_}YYYY{_}MM{_}DD{_}N G:\BACKUPFOLDER\

It could be optimized more, but for now there are just few folders. The names are incremental, if I make multiple copies on a same day, the last digit increases. The resulting names are in the form of:

NAMEOFTHISFOLDER_2015_10_29_1.rar

NAMEOFANOTHERFOLDER_2015_10_29_1.rar

Rar compression is highest, because why not, and for safety I use 100% RAR recovery record in case something happens to the HDD.

The batch could be easily incorporated into Task Scheduler, but for now I run it manually.

Edited by GrofLuigi

thanks both for your answers. it wasnt the answer i was expecting but i suppose that if there isnt anything better i will use this.

about making rar archives, i dont want to use this method, i dont find it useful for me to have different versions of the same file. i just want to have a copy of these folders in another place to not losing them in case of HDD/SSD death.

the batch of jumper seems more adequate for my needs. however i would like that it also removed the files that I removed in the original folder too, to not have a huge mess of duplicate files because of name changes or directly files that i dont want.

@echo. > H:\SSD.bak\MyDocs\~@echo Y | del H:\SSD.bak\MyDocs > nul@copy S:\MyDocs\*.* H:\SSD.bak\MyDocs
First line is optional. It ensures the second line doesn't report an error if the folder is already empty.

The second line quietly empties the destination folder.

The third line copies the files.