Windows Vista setup freezes on activation screen.

Opticork

As the title says, my Windows Vista setup freezes every time on the activation screen.

I tryed with all version 32x & 64x, but none of them worked. I even tryed leaving the setup on this page after clicking Next around a hour, without results.

If I leave the setup more than 5 minutes on this page when I already have clicked Next, it stops responding.

Any help will be greatly apreciated!

???

So were to trying to Upgrade from within the XP Partition from a flat file or ISO stored in it?

If so, nope, since it installs from a WIM, not individual files. Install from anywhere except the actual partition (incl a USB).

Not trying to pick an argument, but please do re-read my previous post. You're misunderstanding. And I never said *your* PC.

The Q stands - *how* (where was the source initially located) were you attempting this? It *may* help another to *not* make the same mistake.

... OR USB!!! (???)

I installed to a friend's with only... 1gb RAM. ;)

Again, it makes no sense! If I can Install from USB (a separate HDD/Partition), then what's the real problem?

I'll gladly give you links to it all (heck many/most/all are already linked to from REBOOT.PRO and MSFN.ORG).

And you *never* said *where* the Install Source was located when it *failed*, so I'm not *really* sure your "solution" makes sense. All you stated was "Put it on a DVD". Repeating this doesn't explain the base problem you had (since I did it with 1gb).

I didn't said USB, because I didn't tested it and I was not sure, if it was going to work or not, but anyways it does work with USB.

And I also think that I wasn't able to install it on my friend's computer, because there wasn't enough physical memory for all processes on the machine.

Here's my friend's machine specifications:

- Intel Core i3 1.80GHz

- Intel HD Graphics

- Windows XP Professional x64 SP2

- 1.0 GB of RAM

If it is in the WinPE phase, then this can happen. The boot image has a RAM requirement. For Vista RTM/WinPE2 x86, it was generally 512MB and x64 was 1GB. There are some situations where the amount of available RAM may be less than what is physically in the system. Some may be allocated to onboard hardware such as mass storage or video controller. Other RAM issues I've seen with Vista's PE is where the RAM is faulty or failing, or in some rare cases the timings are wrong (relabelled memory) or (on certain hardware) the timings are not matched.

If this was during the HDD boot phase (2nd stage) then RAM wouldn't be so much of an issue.

Just to chime in *one* *more* *time*.

Opticork, I'm not *accusing* you of anything except *never answering my Q* about *where* the Source was located initially (if you can call that an accusation or a point of argument). I *also* did *not* say that *you* were doing it from USB. Didn't you notice I said *EYE* said I did via USB and that's an alternative to DVD? :huh:

Do we have some sort of Language Barrier to overcome or are you just being obssinate and argumentative? :crazy:

On that note, screw it, I give up. The next person that has *that* problem will never know what *you* did (step-by-step) that caused the initial failure, *only* the "solution".

Thank you for your contribution. ;)

@Trip - I'm out, and thanks for additional info.

I think you didn't got me from the start. Try reading the whole topic again.

If you have the same issue, just try booting it from CD/DVD.

Submix8c, the problem was caused, due the fact that the computer didn't had enough memory for all processes, so the setup just freezes and stops responding.

So the problem were caused due the fact that PC were too crappy to run the setup file tough the .exe file.

Edited by Opticork

NO SIR!

I can read. Post #1 says "PROBLEM!" and Post #2 says "SOLUTION!"

Now, Post #3 says "WAS SOURCE PHYSICALLY ON TO-BE-UPDATED PARTITION?"

<crickets...>

I guess we're done here since you refuse to answer to Post #3. ;)

(Guess I'll give that scenario a shot myself to prove/disprove the point?)

P.S. You *are* aware of the Install Sequence?

*WHAT* "exe" are you talking about? (And *that* makes no sense!)

WinPE is in a WIM as are the Install Files. Go open them with 7-Zip if you wish. :yes:

Edited by submix8c