Free Upgrade blocked by "incompatible" hardware

Dave-H

Well the restore of the System Image Backup was successful I'm very glad to say, and I've now got Windows 8.1 back.

It also restored Windows XP of course so I had to reapply a few updates there, but generally no problem.

No worry with the licensing either I'm pleased to say.

I'll keep an eye on the guys working on a GMA 3600 driver for Windows 8-10 here, and I may have another go if they come up with anything.

:)

LOL!

I do have to say that after spending a while poking around Windows 10, I was actually quite glad to see Windows 8.1 back again!

As with all new operating systems I'm sure it's very much just a matter of getting used to it, but I didn't much like what I saw at first glance.

It did seem to have some advantages, for instance they seem to have dropped the annoying restriction that apps won't run unless you have the screen set to at least 768 pixels vertical resolution, something that's a bugbear on my netbook because it only has a 1024x600 screen!

I played (very briefly!) with the Cortana search engine, but backed out pretty quick when it said I had to sign in to Windows with a Microsoft Account to use it, and implied that this was permanent and irreversible. No thanks!

The only things I lost restoring the backup were my offline files, which I had to completely re-synchronise, and my Windows Update history, which was annoying. Why that isn't preserved in the backup I have no idea.

:)

As with all new operating systems I'm sure it's very much just a matter of getting used to it, but I didn't much like what I saw at first glance.

There's always some of that, but primarily it really is less functional and less pleasant to use.  This from someone that uses BOTH Win 10 and Win 8.1 daily (and Win 7 most days too).

People who run multiple systems all the time have special insights that others who use one system exclusively may not fully develop.  Their first impressions are a combination of unfamiliarity and recognition that some things are simply not better.

And think back...  There have no doubt been times when the "new thing" you tried impressed you as better.  That's not impossible.

-Noel