German Millennial Lives On Train Rather Than Pay Rent

Monroe

This is like the older person living on a cruise ship from last year. I like the idea ... she's young and why not ... a nice adventure.

The German college student gave up her apartment in spring. "It all started with a dispute I had with my landlord," Müller told The Washington Post via e-mail. "I instantly decided I didn't want to live there anymore - and then I realized: Actually, I didn't want to live anywhere anymore." Instead, she bought a subscription that allows her to board every train in the country for free. Now, Müller washes her hair in the train bathroom and writes her college papers while traveling at a speed of up to 190 mph. She says that she enjoys the liberty she has experienced since she gave up her apartment. "I really feel at home on trains, and can visit so many more friends and cities. It's like being on vacation all the time," Müller said.

Financially, she  benefits from living on a train: The flat-rate ticket costs her about $380, whereas she had to pay about $450 for her previous apartment.

How One German Millennial Chose to Live on Trains Rather Than Pay Rent

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/08/22/how-one-german-millennial-chose-to-live-on-trains-rather-than-pay-rent/

Nice to be able to ride any train in Germany ... anytime.

monroe

Edited by monroe

Yeah, sure:

Müller frequently travels late at night, although she tries to sleep at the apartments of relatives or friends. Often, she is accommodated by her boyfriend, her mother or grandmother.

it's just like the UN intern that lived in a tent in Geneva:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/un-intern-tent-david-hyde-unpaid-stunt-geneva-10457021.html

One way like another to gain some publicity (no matter if personally or for a - good or bad - cause).

I particularly like the bull§hit about washing her hairs on the train (including the relative selfie), however :thumbup

I will however point out:

Living on a train is also supposed to have an academic purpose: Müller is documenting the unusual experiment on a blog. Her final undergraduate paper will be based on her experiences as a modern train-nomad. The only problem? "Possessing a headset that mutes most surrounding noises is crucial," she said.

how typing at a laptop with a  noise reducing headset on is exactly what usually prevents  to meet people and have conversations with them, while traveling mostly at night is not making what you see when you look out of the window particularly interesting most of the time:

"I read, I write, I look out of the window and I meet nice people all the time. There's always something to do on trains,"

The real sad :( thing is however that the article is not on "a" blog, but on the Washington Post :w00t::ph34r:

jaclaz

Yes, I didn't mention that myself but you are correct ... she is not quite 100% living on the train all the time. Still it's a little adventure before life gets too complicated down the road.

So you know about the Washington Post  ???

"The real sad thing is however that the article is not on "a" blog, but on the Washington Post."

monroe

• 3 weeks later...

I wish I had the option of a flat rate ticket in my area. But again sometimes an "AmTrack" does happen from time to time. Very dangerous. If I could live in a train car from place to place I would do so. In fact I found an youtube video that inspired me asides for iglo houses.

but from my understanding a person could build a $2000 house and not have to deal with mortgage. What is a person going to do with one of those $300,000,000 dollar houses? Keep hoars and children inside of them?

There are tons of ways to save money on housing.

Edited by ROTS

• 2 weeks later...