Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

A bug that unfairly competes with other software you may have purchased and downloaded?  Where is the DoJ?

Meanwhile Tim Sweeney (Epic Games) take on UWP:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/mar/04/microsoft-monopolise-pc-games-development-epic-games-gears-of-war

Microsoft has launched new PC Windows features exclusively in UWP, and is effectively telling developers you can use these Windows features only if you submit to the control of our locked-down UWP ecosystem. They’re curtailing users’ freedom to install full-featured PC software, and subverting the rights of developers and publishers to maintain a direct relationship with their customers.

... and more ...

Microsoft has certainly followed this lead in technically exposing, but practically burying, options that let users escape from its force-bundled services. If you’ve tried to change your Windows 10 search engine, web browser, or movie player, or to turn off their invasive new lock-screen ads, Windows search bar Bing spam, and invasive “analytics”, you know what I’m talking about. It’s a deliberately anti-customer experience: the options are there, but good luck finding them.

The ultimate danger here is that Microsoft continually improves UWP while neglecting and even degrading win32, over time making it harder for developers and publishers to escape from Microsoft’s new UWP commerce monopoly. Ultimately, the open win32 Windows experience could be relegated to Enterprise and Developer editions of Windows.

jaclaz

And - for those who would insist on keeping and using Apps - if it's a bug, why are there "NoOpenWith" registry values that can be set to prevent it from happening?

NoelC, would you mind elaborating on what that "NoOpenWith" registry value means, or does? What action is it that the value can be set to prevent from happening? (Based on the name of the value, I can make an assumption, but you know what happens when you "assume"...)

--JorgeA

7 ways Windows 10 pushes ads at you, and how to stop them

I never thought I’d be writing “How to turn off ads in the Windows Start menu,” but here we are.

While there’s no way to disable the ads in Solitaire and Minesweeper (sacrilege! horror!) short of paying $10 per year per app—not even a one-time purchase, but a subscription

--JorgeA

Transform Windows 10 into the operating system it should be

Windows 10 is a decent operating system, but there are a lot of niggles with it that I find frustrating, and I know I’m not alone in this. I’m not too worried about the new operating system "spying" on me, but there are plenty of other areas where, frankly, Microsoft could -- and should -- be doing better.

--JorgeA

If only it were possible.

But it can only be transformed into a stunted Windows 10, which offers about 5% less functionality than a well-tweaked Windows 8.1, which offers about 1% more functionality than a well-tweaked Windows 7.

-Noel

NoelC, would you mind elaborating on what that "NoOpenWith" registry value means, or does? What action is it that the value can be set to prevent from happening? (Based on the name of the value, I can make an assumption, but you know what happens when you "assume"...)

Note this article:

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/windows-10-resetting-file-associations/

-Noel

If a specific value is provided that PREVENTS a takeover of the associated application, then it becomes pretty difficult to justify a (re-)takeover of associated applications as an accident, right?

Microsoft seems to be following an "it's better to ask forgiveness than permission" strategy.  Unfortunately, too many people are altogether too forgiving (or just too dumb to notice what's going on).

Microsoft has been working hard to develop this air of "Windows is not finished, so therefore pardon our dust because we're going to get a lot of things wrong".  There's no reason to expect Windows 10 to be less well-behaved than any of its predecessors!  Windows 10 is not new any more! 

I HATE it when companies define a "new normal" that socially allows them to get away with things they have no business doing!

-Noel

FjjkTS0.png

I find this kind of ironic, Microsoft is promoting a story about two people that will "change the way people feel about bugs" with Windows 10. It's like they're asking for this to backfire.

Well, if they really want to teach people about bugs, Windows 10 is a pretty good candidate.

Well, if they really want to teach people about bugs, Windows 10 is a pretty good candidate.

:lol:  :lol:

My first thought when I read your post was that Microsoft was trying to get people used to living with buggy software...

--JorgeA

Here's another angle on the subject of Windows 10 games:

Epic co-founder calls out Microsoft's UWP platform, calls it a 'walled garden'

In my view, if Microsoft does not commit to opening PC UWP up in the manner described here, then PC UWP can, should, must and will, die as a result of industry backlash. Gamers, developers, publishers simply cannot trust the PC UWP “platform” so long as Microsoft gives evasive, ambiguous and sneaky answers to questions about UWP’s future, as if it’s a PR issue. This isn’t a PR issue, it’s an existential issue for Microsoft, a first-class determinant of Microsoft’s future role in the world.

[emphasis added]

Them's fightin' words!

--JorgeA

It's more of that redirection thing again.  They're trying to define a "new normal" where when someone says "I found another bug", people who hear them think about a couple of women holding insects or arachnids and not about operating system bugs.  Or at least think of bugs fondly.

People don't even know they're being brainwashed even when they're told it's being done.

Now for the $64 question:  Do we REALLY want today's Microsoft influencing our kids' thinking?

-Noel

Edited by NoelC