Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

Ahh okay, Found a solution to 10074 not finding my NAS,

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/b0ee07f9-d6e0-4852-979d-1fa5d3aef302/network-drive-cannot-be-mapped-in-w10-build-10074-clean-installed?forum=WinPreview2014General

Hi,
I've got an alternative. It's very simple.

When mapping a network drive, I used host name, like "\\host name\folder name".
I used IP address instead, like "\\192.168.1.123\folder name".
That's it.

In Win 10 Build 1074 by "Clean install", network drive can be mapped with "using IP address".
(with Host name, still does not work)

Thank you, everyone.

Hokusosha

I installed a fresh install of 10074 64bit to my spare i7...... previously running 32bit Win8RP build 8400.

The network drive wasn't configurable via the usual means (just like my laptop), so I went searching.

This was the answer.

So simple. But why.

I'm having no problems accessing networked systems by name here.

Did you disable HomeGroup networking entirely?  I do that.  It seems to me to get in the way of everything.

-Noel

Here's how I use the Start menu in Windows 10 Insider Preview

Am I missing something?  :huh:   I don't remember Microsoft adding the ability to remove the right panel in the TP.

He's cropped off the right side of the screen grab.  Note that there's no system tray or clock showing.  If you resize the image to the 1440 vertical pixel count he touts for the LG 34 inch ultrawide monitor, the image is only 2455 x 1440 - it's missing nearly 1000 pixels.

It might be a leaked version that he's not supposed to be running and writing about (but of course he wants the scoop), and what's over there in those deleted pixels is the message that someone will be drawn and quartered for leaking it.

I can't quite make out what the two icons he's got up in the trees near the upper right say.  One might say "Microsoft"

EDIT:  I developed a forensic image enhancer that employs anisotropic filtering some time back and just tried it...  That worked well. The two icons quite clearly say IMG_7790 and IMG_7788.  The thumbnails resemble images of phones or tablets.

-Noel

Nice work! What (if anything) do those icons suggest to you about the TP build he's using? I do wonder if it might be a newer build where they expanded customization options for the Start Menu.

Otherwise, is it possible to figure out how he might have removed the tile panel from the TP Start Menu? Or maybe he simply Photoshopped what he would like the menu to look like.

--JorgeA

-- I am actually less clear on the situation than when I started reading. I thought that I'd seen somewhere that people helping Microsoft with the beta test were going to get a free copy of Win10 RTM.

Like you I had read that insiders who had installed the pre-releases would be granted a full, licensed copy when it comes out.

Seems to me they're getting away with a lot by vaguely implying things, then later "clarifying" them.  That's modern Marketing.  Those people are evil.

I recently took the opportunity to install Win 10 on a brand new standalone system, a Dell PowerEdge T20, as at the time I had only the internal backup HDD and not yet the main SSDs I was going to ultimately run it from, so to do initial testing I figured what the heck and installed Win 10 build 10074 from a thumb drive made from an 10074 ISO, which in turn was made from the WIM file provided by Microsoft.

By the way, I've since gotten the SSDs and installed the OS I had intended for it to run - Win 7 x64.  I did comparative Passmark benchmarks and in almost every way Win 7 came out significantly more efficient.  One of the very few things Win 10 did better was the "Graphics 2D Image Rendering" test - by scores of 742 (Win 10) to 702 (Win 7).  But other important things, such as "Graphics 2D - Windows Interface" it did worse - by scores of 95.6 (Win 10) to 116.0 (Win 7).  This says that Win 10 should feel more sluggish, and in fact it does.  This system uses the Intel HD Graphics GPU that comes in the Haswell Pentium G3220 CPU.

-Noel

P.S., Jorge, do you have enough computer power to run a virtual machine?  Virtualization is a great way to test Windows 10.  I like VMware Workstation for the job, but I believe you can actually run Win 10 under VMware Player, which is free.

Those are intriguing test results. Curiously, they imply that people should be using more powerful hardware rather than putting Win10 on mobile devices. What do you think accounts for 10 being slower than 7?

About using a virtual machine: some years ago when I moved from Windows 98 to Vista, I looked into virtualization technology as a way to run some of the software I needed that was not compatible with Vista, and VMware was my leading candidate.

However, I dropped the idea of using them because of an onerous clause in VMware's EULA that gave them the right to come into my office and audit my use of their software. I tried calling VMware back then, but nobody had a straight answer as to whether this applied to VMware Player, and eventually they stopped taking my phone calls. I tried posting the question on their forum but no one provided a satisfactory answer. It was a total stonewall. So not only did I decide against their software, but -- in view of this experience -- their operation was so unimpressive that I'd never advise anybody to use VMware products for anything.

(Since then, I always inspect any prospective new software's EULA for "audit rights" and refuse to install any that have a similar provision. I stopped an installation of AVG Free antivirus from an XP system when I discovered that they, too, had this language.)

Ultimately, a couple of other factors came into play that made the whole thing moot. First, Microsoft sent out a Windows Update improving Vista's compatibiity with older programs (yay!) and, second, I found out that my new PC couldn't handle virtualization anyway.

I'm sure that the laptop where I have Win10 can do virtualization, but the VM application will have to be from somebody other than VMware. In any event, I just visited WMware's website looking for the EULA to link to, but I didn't see any reference any more to a free version of VMware Player.

--JorgeA

EDIT: typo

Edited by JorgeA

Hi all, long-time fan/reader of this group (going back to the old "Windows 8" thread)...over two years on and I continue to despise everything about Windows 8! I thought I'd post a question here as you all seem knowledgable about the latest/greatest updates...

The thing that continues to bug me the most about "new" Windows is that the column heading bar disappeared from Explorer -- this is what I'm referring to. I installed the QTTabBar script, BUT this only fixes it in Explorer, *not* within your individual programs. As a designer I'm constantly opening files and needing to switch between how I sort to find what I need. Without that bar, if I'm viewing in "icon" mode I gotta switch to "detailed" then do my sort then switch back to icons again...major PITA and kills my productivity (yeah, I know, who needs that in 2015?). Apparently this bit of functionality had already disappeared in Windows 7 (I went to 8 straight from Vista).

So, my question is, has this functionality returned in the latest version, 10 or whateverthehellitscallednow?

Meanwhile, the previous link to the Acrobat debacle has inspired me to share this terrific productivity-killer I just encountered (apologies if it's already been mentioned somewhere). I was given the latest version of Adobe CC at my new job (the "cloud" version). When you open files from within Photoshop, the little thumbnail preview at the bottom of the window is now completely gone.  So, in addition to not being to see PSD thumbnails in explorer (you just get the dumb generic "PSD" icon, no pic) you can't preview your files within Photoshop itself either anymore! Only alternative is to use that stupid bloated Bridge. Here's the thread over on the Adobe "feedback" page if you're unaware of what I'm referring to. My question here is, who's to blame for this latest bit of idiocracy? Adobe says Microsoft is to blame, MS says it's Adobe...???

Here's another thread on the topic, sharing for this insightful comment:

It seems like the OS makers are dumbing everything down so your computer will be as "good" as a smart phone...
Edited by sparkles

The thing that continues to bug me the most about "new" Windows is that the column heading bar disappeared from Explorer -- this is what I'm referring to.

I don't personally see the logic in having column headings if the chosen display mode doesn't actually list things in columns under them.  Sort options can be changed via a right-click context menu.

That said, I do know of a workaround - though I don't think it's any better than the one you mentioned.

A tool called Folder Options X allows you to enable "Column headers in all views", and it does work in Win 10 - but it only puts column headers back in File Explorer windows only.  I guess you're wanting them in File - Open dialogs and the like, right?  I think you may be out of luck.

-Noel

Nice work! What (if anything) do those icons suggest to you about the TP build he's using? I do wonder if it might be a newer build where they expanded customization options for the Start Menu.

I'm guessing a (near) future build of Win 10 will offer the capability for full removal of the tiles again.

-Noel

Hi all, long-time fan/reader of this group (going back to the old "Windows 8" thread)...over two years on and I continue to despise everything about Windows 8! I thought I'd post a question here as you all seem knowledgable about the latest/greatest updates...

Good to see you again, welcome back! :hello:

About that Windows Explorer issue: I use both Vista and 7, so I could see easily what you were saying. Hmmm. Unless there is some kind of Registry tweak, I'm afraid that @NoelC is right and there's no way to bring back the functionality that;s so useful to you.

--JorgeA

This article provides good background material for our general discussion of desktop vs. mobile interfaces:

Mobile Content Is Twice as Difficult

Summary: When reading from an iPhone-sized screen, comprehension scores for complex Web content were 48% of desktop monitor scores.

Smartphone fans who smugly predict the demise of the desktop might want to take this into account.

--JorgeA

Nah.  It's falling out of fashion to comprehend what you're reading.  Anyone seeking to understand what they're reading is considered a "dinosaur".  If you disagree with this you're a "hater".  I read that somewhere online.  I think.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

While we're on the topic of mobile, check out Demerjian's hard-hitting piece on Microsoft's clusterf**k:

Microsoft just Palmed itself out of the mobile market 

While he's at it, Charlie touches on PC Windows:

[...]Microsoft’s strategy to leverage their way into mobile was simple, use Office. If you wanted Office on your mobile device, you had to use Windows. To force the issue even farther, they made the desktop Windows 8 into a mobile-like OS to familiarize people with the Microsoft mobile offerings. SemiAccurate said it was a debacle that would ruin Microsoft’s desktop sales. Those taking Microsoft money had a distinctly different view. (1, 2, 3, 4 and thousands more if you look.)

In some ways the plan worked spectacularly well, Windows 8 users were almost immediately familiarized with the Windows Phone/mobile OS offerings. Unfortunately they hated it on a level that was obvious to anyone but Microsoft executives. Windows 8 dropped sales of PCs worldwide by about 15%, a stunning number, it was an abject failure. As SemiAccurate said at the time, trying to force a terrible OS on users by using Office as a lever had no chance to work, and it didn’t.

--JorgeA

Thanks!

That screenshot doesn't seem to be from Win 10 though.  If they've re-implemented it as a Modern App I have my doubts whether it'll be as useful.  But we can hope.

Makes me feel vindicated in that I have been continuing to use scheduled Windows Backup through the wbadmin command all along with Win 8.1.  It's a very good feature under the covers, especially in the way it's integrated with VSS.

Maybe some of us FINALLY got trough to them that they'll need to make the Win 10 product at least as good and capable as Win 7 in order to get Win 7 users to even consider upgrading to the current version - even for free.  Just a couple of days ago I was scoping out Dell's top-of-the-line workstations, and even for $10K+ they still ship with Win 7 Pro by default.

Kind of a "well duh" thing, but companies have a way of being more dense than individuals.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Those are intriguing test results. Curiously, they imply that people should be using more powerful hardware rather than putting Win10 on mobile devices. What do you think accounts for 10 being slower than 7?

About using a virtual machine: some years ago when I moved from Windows 98 to Vista, I looked into virtualization technology as a way to run some of the software I needed that was not compatible with Vista, and VMware was my leading candidate.

However, I dropped the idea of using them because of an onerous clause in VMware's EULA that gave them the right to come into my office and audit my use of their software. I tried calling VMware back then, but nobody had a straight answer as to whether this applied to VMware Player, and eventually they stopped taking my phone calls. I tried posting the question on their forum but no one provided a satisfactory answer. It was a total stonewall. So not only did I decide against their software, but -- in view of this experience -- their operation was so unimpressive that I'd never advise anybody to use VMware products for anything.

MS does audits too, remember

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/172826-windows-10-first-impressions/?p=1099667

I am pretty sure VMWare won't bother you with audits. They might if you have more than 100 employees though.