Is there a way to sign OUT of the Microsoft Account?

JorgeA

Ever since Build 10162 downloaded and installed, I've been getting periodic reminders (with a little jingle) to "connect" my copy of Win10 to my Microsoft Account. Starting the process soon takes me to a scary-sounding dialog where I'm invited to enter my local password "one last time." :ph34r:

So, does anybody know whether -- once you "connect" Win10 and the MSA -- there is any way later to "disconnect" them and return to a local account? Or is it a one-way proposition, like checking into the Hotel California?

--JorgeA

:lol:  :ph34r:

OK, I see that if I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del, I get the screen with various options (power off, Task Manager, and so on). One of the options is to "Sign out."

So now the question becomes: if you "sign out," can you still work in Windows (10), opening and editing documents, launching a browser, etc., just as if you had never "signed in"? Or is there some functional limitation that kicks in once you sign out? (I do know about using certain Microsoft services that require an account, such as SkyDrive and the Windows Store.)

I have no experience with "signing into" any of my computers, so I literally have zero knowledge as to what happens when you sign out. And things might be different with Win10. Can I sign out of Windows 10 and then sign back in to individual services, like I do currently with (for example) the Windows Feedback app?

--JorgeA

More research:

According to this website, if you go Settings --> Accounts, then under "Your Account" there will be a clickable option to "Disconnect my Microsoft account."

However, the window looks different from what I have in Build 10162, with some different content. The screenshot shown is probably from an earlier build. That means, though. that the functionality could have changed in the meantime too. So I'm hoping that someone who's on 10162 or a later build can confirm that you can still in fact sign out of your Microsoft account and continue to use the computer.

--JorgeA

Every indication I can see is that working from a local account will NOT be well-supported.  What does that mean?

It is possible to install windows with either a local account or a Microsoft account, and it is possible to switch your Microsoft account to a local account.  The link in build 10166 that says "Sign in with a local account instead" is your path to that.

But I don't sense that Microsoft has put any effort into ensuring that using the system with a local account will be viable.  If anything, just the opposite.  This represents a change from all prior systems, and frankly I think this is going to cause widespread rebellion amongst enterprises.

I don't remember where I read it, but they've said at least once that you won't be upgraded to the released version via Windows Update if you're not using your Microsoft account.  That may have been a one-time thing, I'm not sure.

I've tried running with a local account, and a lot of things just didn't work.  As a geek who knows my way around the system, I was able to overcome virtually all of them that mattered to me, but I doubt that will be a viable approach for someone with less knowledge/experience, or for someone expecting to use all the new stuff. 

Once the dust settles I'll be writing it up in my next release of my book.  You won't have Cortana, possibly the search function will be broken somewhat in general, and I imagine there will be ongoing problems with Apps.  It's just the kind of thing someone who wants to concentrate on ONLY using the desktop might really like, but most others will feel they're missing out on the "new" gee-whiz functionality.

The Borg mantra applies.

-Noel

If the limitations of working without signing into a Microsoft account extend only to Metro/Universal apps, then that's something I can well live with. I haven't found a compelling need for any app, and Classic Shell's Start Menu provides all the search functionality I'm interested in.

What (if any) limitations have you noticed while working in the Win32 world, when logged out of the MSA in Win10?

I don't remember where I read it, but they've said at least once that you won't be upgraded to the released version via Windows Update if you're not using your Microsoft account.  That may have been a one-time thing, I'm not sure.

IIRC that does have to do with Insiders who wish to keep receiving future builds, such as the one expected on July 29. They say you need to have your computer "connected to" a Microsoft Account (whatever that means) in order to get that build. And in fact I've been getting regular nag reminders that I "need to fix" my situation with respect to signing in with the MSA.

Maybe I'll sign in after all (so far I'm only signed into individual apps), as I will be curious to see if the nagging continues after the official launch.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

After the official launch, the first time one signs out will also be the last: there's a new technology, to be included from the RTM onwards, that, upon sign-out, will cause a local pico-black-hole to briefly form, suck in the miscreant's machine, including monitors, mouse, kbd and any connected external storage, and then dispell subsequently, leaving just a very small puff of crimson smoke and a briefly-lasting strong stink of brimstone. Of course, when asked directly about this, MS denies any knowledge of it, attributing it instead to malicious conspiracy theorists... :whistle:

I've been running with a local account now for a week (having taken the "Sign out" link in the Accounts panel).

It seems to hang together surprisingly well.  I have UAC off now too.

• ZERO Modern Apps.  NO Windows Start Menu.
  • I can run the Settings App as needed.
  • Fully privileged local operation and a functional desktop.  All my applications work.
  • Windows Update still works, though I'm off the Insider Preview track.

Seems to be a viable way to ride out the insanity Microsoft is trying to push until they steer their ship back to doing what Windows did and was designed to do best.

-Noel

Meanwhile, in other news, Cortana is (will be made soon) available on Android :w00t::

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/17/8993015/microsoft-cortana-android-app-leak

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/07/a-first-look-at-microsofts-cortana-running-on-android/

implying the need to signup on a Microsoft account (i.e. basically giving to MS the same kind of info that now you are giving exclusively to Google :whistle:, a new form of democracy/equity)

Seemingly it will be soon available for iOS too, though I doubt that any of the good iPhone guys will trade in Siri for Cortana :unsure:

jaclaz

Don't digital assistants actually have to work and be useful for people to want them?  On the other hand, People seem to be getting more and more stupid, so maybe the current state of the art is right up their alley.

Here we have a commercial in the past month or so that sums things up nicely...

A man is driving his car; asks his digital assistant to call Karen, and it calls Aunt Ethel instead.  It's a few seconds in...  Hilarious...

http://www.tvcommercialspots.com/food-and-beverage/oscar-mayer-deli-fresh-calling-aunt-ethel-sometimes-life-can-get-a-little-complicated-keep-it-simple-made-from-100-turkey-breast-oscarmayer-delifresh-turkey-sandwich-ethel-keepitsimple/

-Noel

I've been running with a local account now for a week (having taken the "Sign out" link in the Accounts panel).

It seems to hang together surprisingly well.  I have UAC off now too.

• ZERO Modern Apps.  NO Windows Start Menu.
  • I can run the Settings App as needed.
  • Fully privileged local operation and a functional desktop.  All my applications work.
  • Windows Update still works, though I'm off the Insider Preview track.

Seems to be a viable way to ride out the insanity Microsoft is trying to push until they steer their ship back to doing what Windows did and was designed to do best.

-Noel

Good to know, thanks!  :thumbup

--JorgeA

Meanwhile, in other news, Cortana is (will be made soon) available on Android :w00t::

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/17/8993015/microsoft-cortana-android-app-leak

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/07/a-first-look-at-microsofts-cortana-running-on-android/

implying the need to signup on a Microsoft account (i.e. basically giving to MS the same kind of info that now you are giving exclusively to Google :whistle:, a new form of democracy/equity)

Fantastic -- now you as the user can get yourself tracked by TWO busybody companies instead of just one!

I have an Android phone, and somehow I've managed to avoid opening a Google Account. (I only use the pre-installed apps and a few others I manually downloaded directly from their respective websites.) Microsoft seems to be headed toward a model that's even more restrictive than Google's -- where, ultimately, you won't be able to install anything without Mother Microsoft doing it for you.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

• 1 month later...