2TB Seagate GoFlex locked "busy"

I have a 2TB Seagate "GoFlex Desk" with the "locked busy" problem however the internal drive is ST32000542AS (not ST2000xxx series).  The label on the drive says it's firmware CC95.  (I don't see CC95 mentioned ANYWHERE on the web).

I THINK the ST32000542AS is a 7200.12 series, but I'm not sure.  What method is suggested for fixing THIS locked drive?

Symptoms:

1) when powered on I hear drive spin up and heads sound like they're reading something - then it stops

2) drive shows up in device manager but not disk manager
3) when connected to a Win8 laptop Task Manager shows the drive is at constant 100% usage (locked busy)

4) when drive is removed from USB dock and connected directly to motherboard as drive "D" BIOS says "Hard drive failure imminent..." Windows starts but then locks up on splash screen (in other words simply having this drive connected jams up EVERYTHING).  Disconnecting the drive from either USB or mainboard Windows resumes normally.

I hope this drive can be "fixed" using one of the known methods ("7200.11 fix", etc.) or perhaps shorting the pads on the PCB (the "LP" fix)?

I don't need a long-term fix - just enough time to get the files moved somewhere else!

Any assistance appreciated.

Edited by bitcheck19

The ST32000542AS is actually a "LP" drive:

http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/datasheet/disc/ds_barracuda_lp.pdf

So you may want to have a look at the (scarce) info/experience we have on those:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/157329-barracuda-lp-no-not-a-720011-nor-a-720012/

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/161029-seagate-barracuda-lp-green-is-not-recognized-in-bios-suddenly/

BUT please don't be fooled by the usual misconception of the one remedy fixes all illnesses.

IF the drive is diagnosed as being either LBA0 or BSY then maybe the respective LBA0 or BSY fix procedure may work.

IF the drive is NOT in one of those states (from what you reported sounds more like a drive starting developing bad sectors) there is no sense in attempting to unlock/reset the firmware.

The only thing that you can (maybe) possibly be able to do is to attempt using ddrescue or similar (under Linux) to salvage whatever can be read (as RAW sectors) in a disk image (you will need a bigger than 2 Tb disk), any firmware related fix will be ineffective and at the risk of preventing any further data recovery attempt.

IF (hopefully) most of the RAW data can be imaged, then it should be possible to extract them from the disk image or "fix" the filesystem in the image.

Attempting to recover data from the filesystem while it is still residing on the failing disk is less likely to ever succeed (even if *somehow* it is possible to avoid the Windows locking).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Thank you for the quick reply.

I always hope for an easy solution but experience has taught me that it is rarely the case.  I am afraid you may be correct about the bad sectors - but I still need to try SOMETHING.  I can at least hook up the "LP fix" setup and see what it reads on HyperTerminal.  That should be harmless, correct?

Now, as I understand it, ALL hard drives - even brand new ones - have at least some bad sectors.  So, there must be a way to reload the firmware even with bad sectors.  Otherwise, how do they build brand new (blank) drives and load the firmware?

With all due respect, do create a ddrescue or similar raw disk image *NOW*, before anything!!!

After that you may indulge into philosophizing about the slowly turning universe (or maybe the faster turning disk platters) without risking loosing more data than you already have.

After that you may indulge into philosophizing about the slowly turning universe (or maybe the faster turning disk platters) without risking loosing more data than you already have.

...which is not actually the case of a LP drive, however ;).

@bitcheck19

Of course only the good Seagate guys know what kind of specific hardware they use to initialize and test a disk drive in the factory.

The alternative AFAIK is only a nice little piece of hardware called PC-3000 that some good Russian guys developed which in their simplicity they sell for around US$ 10,000 apiece (+NEEDED training+yearly license fee).

The PC-3000 seemingly can "load" a fimware from another device 8Or form PC memory, etc.)  and/or edit hexedit an existing one, etc. and is the "reference" tool generally used by the data recovery labs. 

Besides the fact that that thingy is clearly outside the possibilities of a hobbyist or in a DIY contest, it is - I am told - an exceptionally good product :) very well upgraded/maintained and offering unique features and they have (again I am told) a nice "regional" approach to the sale price (which is higher in countries where data recovery services are more expensive and lower in countries where that cost is lower). 

jaclaz

Funny you should say that.  I've been an aerospace engineer for over 30 years and have designed things that you could never dream about.

Funny you should say that.  I've been an aerospace engineer for over 30 years and have designed things that you could never dream about.

Well, dencorso has some relevant experience at brain surgery :w00t: so I would guess it's a tie. :whistle:

And before you ask :unsure: ...

yes :yes:, I have been tying shoes professionally for more than 45 years

They+re+all+too+difficult_4f351f_4924675

:lol:

jaclaz