Questions about UHD monitor and related components

grancharov

Hello.

I use Dell U2713hm(2560x1440) and I consider to upgrade with Samsung LU32D97. What is the minimal recommended video card for that? I'm not a gamer and up to this moment I'm fine with the integrated video in A10-6700. I have Sapphire HD 6770 1GB DDR5 in the secondary PC - is this enough for everyday use(webbrowsers, video up to 1080p), or I have to buy a newer card?

My PSU is CM Silent Pro M500. I have 7 HDD's + 1 SSD and 2x4 GB /1600 MHz.

The native resolution for that display, per the link is 3840x2160.

According to newegg (presuming it is the correct model) the max resolution is 2560 x 1600.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102940

I do not know whether or not you can get more resolution out of the video card by using different drivers.

Looking at this example, there is a performance rating score for an HD 6770 running at 3840x2160, so I would presume it is possible... but maybe not the ideal solution.

http://www.game-debate.com/hardware/?gid=1844&graphics=Radeon%20HD%206770%20Crossfire

I also read in some spots, that maximum resolution may depend on which port is used to connect, like DisplayPort/HDMI/etc.

Both the GPU and APU should be able to work with 4K, all depends on some factors:

The BIOS/Firmware should be able to work with 4k, if one or both doesn't like the 2160p resolution then flash it (be careful with that, there is a small chance you will brick the GPU, the motherboard is easier to flash). Using the latest drivers is always a must like Tripredacus pointed out.

You need to to use the right connectors/cables on your cards, and there is the tricky part. You never know what works although it should work. You might end up with a 30Hz screen build up while 60 or better is recommended. The monitor supports up to 60Hz. To make use of the 60Hz you need to use the displayport.

Now I use APU, but I won't try to use hybrid graphics.

I think at first to try with my old 6770 and if it doesn't work - I will go for something newer. I think that my chances are good, because more than 2 GB VRAM is needed for heavy games and I hardly ever will play them.

I know that the DP is the only working option. I read, that some UHD monitors are artifically split on two parts(1920x2160) to be able to work via HDMI, but this can introduce other problems. I hope, that this Samsung monitor isn't such case...

The "older" 4k screens has indeed the problems with the left and right screen build up, but the Samsung is the latest model and much has been learned in this small time window. Crossfire (X) isn't worth it indeed, too much trouble. If you need the speed you are better of buying a single card (with 2GPUs if needed). The latest games want you to have 3GB and no wonder if you look at the new GTA game.

• 2 weeks later...

I just read one review and I'm not sure how to understand this: "We were left slightly frustrated by the monitor's inflexibility: we liked the colour balance and accuracy that the factory calibration was able to provide, but we wanted to be able to adjust it further to boost contrast and brightness, which some of the other profiles were able to do. Sadly, you can't copy a profile to a custom setting, and there's no way of knowing what the specific colour settings of the factory calibration profile are so you can't even make an attempt to copy them. However, usiung Samsung's NCE software allows for a greater deal of flexibility, including the copying of profiles to to various additional presets."

I'm not a photographer and since I don't have a hardware colorimeter - I don't want to "broke" the color settings, but only to (probably) adjust brightness/contrast. Is this something different from what they wrote in the review?

I'm not certain what it specifically means by "color profiles." Is that something you set on the monitor itself, or something you set in the OS?

The people reviewing the monitor on that link seem to be overly picky regarding the capabilities of the display. It is likely due to them using monitors in a profession where I can see the need for that. But I think if you are not that demanding of how your monitor looks, then I would disregard most of that. Basically if you can change the settings to make it look good to you, then that is all that is important.

Either way, I doubt it is possible to "break" the color settings... Most panel displays I've seen have the ability to reset settings to default.