Wireless D-Link router. Intermittent loss of access only on wired PC

bkap01

I have been regularly losing access on the one PC attached by Ethernet to router. Troubleshoot sometimes resets network adapter to restore access. At times it does not solve the issue and suggests restart of router. That does not solve the problem. But restarting the PC always restores internet access.

I have switched cables and router ports. Still having disconnects.

Whats going on? Where do I look? Thanks.

Bill

Edited by bkap01

Appreciate your response.  Can you help me how I can find the answers to your questions?

The modem and router are supplied by my ISP -  Optonline - which as I undersatnd, sets the IP address dynamicly.  IP addresses of the devices are not seen outside the network.

Thats about as much as I understabd. Can you help me answer your questions. What am I pinging?. and when?

Do I ping the desktop from another PC and use the internal IP?

Bill

Edited by bkap01

You need to know your router's internal IP address. This should be seen on the PC if you go to CMD and run ipconfig -all and it will be the default gateway address. I will use an example that it is 192.168.1.1. At a point where you cannot access the internet, you run this in the CMD:

ping 192.168.1.1

Where, the IP address you ping is the IP shown as the Default Gateway. If you can ping this address, it means you have communication with your router. You can additionally try these ping commands:

ping google.com

ping 216.58.219.206

This might help you to visualize the output of the command.

533px-CMD_ipconfig.png

In the above the DHCP is disabled (Enabled No), the adapter address is static to 192.168.254.15 and the Default Gateway (please read as "Router") is at address 192.168.254.254.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Thanks for the help. I understand how to check these IP addreses. If I lose access again I will ping the IP address of the router from the desktop.

I did find something in the device manager for the network adapter.

“allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”. It was checked.  No idea why it was there. I unchecked it and haven't lost access since. Two days now. Could this be it?