All's Quiet - So We Wait

NoelC

Noel

you can't kill desktop as long as touch based OS cannot be used as workstation as easy as plain desk PC

- programming aka writing code on tablets is disaster

- playing any games that require both keyboard+mouse is disaster

- doing any serious both 2D and 3D rendering and editing of images/objects is disaster

lets not forget how cluttered and unmanaged "Metro OS" is

its just not happening, and as much as I hate to start with Apple, but they realized this long long time ago...

you have special OS for touch devices and special OS for Desk PC's that does integrate SOME services related to cloud and all that bul*****

in fact and I hate repeating myself like **** parrot, but touch in general, will only become dominant

with holographic DEVICES, and by the time home users can afford this and machines and apps become available,

I'm affraid humanity will be long gone ...

some things just don't add up

just like isometric games could not totally use 3D objects (except voxels, and only 1 company did this)

so industry HAD to switch onto 3D engines/games

just look at the Vista, Vista is in fact 3D OS, everything is mapped via DWM into 3D space

yet we all still use 2D objects and "2D OS", simply coz you can't invoke user experience of 3D onto 2D display

Edited by vinifera

Apparently it was just too hard to actually do.  All that glitz makes the poor programmers have to work so hard.  And then the testers were just sooo picky and wanted it all to actually function too!  How unfair is that?

Doggone reality.  It bites.

smiley.gif

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Yeah, I suppose.  Trouble is, I can't think of any other explanation.  But I've edited the above post to add a smiley.  Hope it's not too subtle.

-Noel

While we weren't looking the process of testing the TP edition has become now more a "let's get it over with" situation...

Right now, in build 9926, I have:

• Added a whole bunch of tweaks and tuning to make it into what I need.
  • Aero Glass working great.
  • Big Muscle's extra tool to make Apps have glassy borders.
  • My own theme atlas well-tuned.
  • Classic Shell working great.
  • Accessories Folder Options X, Wizmouse, ShellFolderFix, Send To Toys, FastPictureViewer Codec Pack, grepWin, etc. all installed and working.
  • All the applications I need in and tested, so I know they work.
  • UAC almost tamed to where I can mostly do what I want without nags, and I can still test Apps.

If Microsoft just didn't change anything more I know I'd be able to use Win 10 just about as effectively as I use Win 8.1.  But that's not going to happen - they ARE changing things.  So it becomes: 

"Let's get the process of seeing what else they've deleted or screwed up over with already.  Ugh."

I have golden, fond memories when it used to be:

"Ooh!  Let's see what new and exciting things they've added!"

I don't think it's me who's changed.  I still get the "Ooh" feeling about other tech.

No smileys in this post, nosiree...

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

thats why I loved testing Longhorn and Vista betas

so many technology there was stiffed in with nice glossy themes (vista beta 1-2)

heck even alphas of win "7" were exciting, especially the PDC 6801 build

theres one guy who still today is importing some stuff from both vista betas and alphas (longhorn)

into XP source, to kinda get best of 2 worlds

but with this win8/10 crap, oh well ... I ain't gonna touch them :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the link, xper.

For me the fbl_impressive 10041 Professional update has started downloading for a second time, even though it went in successfully the first time.  What's another 3 GB of network data? 

Maybe once that settles down maybe I'll download the ISO file.

Edit:  No, I am not interested in downloading a Windows ISO from a source other than Microsoft (and I would suggest others avoid doing so as well). I didn't realize the link pointed to a non-Microsoft host.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Edit:  No, I am not interested in downloading a Windows ISO from a source other than Microsoft (and I would suggest others avoid doing so as well). I didn't realize the link pointed to a non-Microsoft host.

In the current pre-release stage, why not?  You download and use "critical" components such as Classic Shell and Aero Glass, the good folks at WinAero can be trusted, and the MD5 checksum is known and published, so what's the problem?  It's not as if this is competing against an official MS released Win10 ISO, which would be considered warez and not discussed, supported, and advertised here on MSFN.

Cheers and Regards