Conexant HD audio not installing: Windows XP on ASUS X200CA

AnX

I installed Windows XP on an ASUS X200CA laptop for my mother. While most drivers have installed, I seem to have trouble with the Conexant HD audio driver. I tried one driver which didn't work at all. Then i tried the ASUS driver which simply BSOD'd and never loaded. So my question is, is there any way to get Conexant HD, or just use a generic HD audio driver in Windows XP? Thanks.

Edited by AnX

I think I used driveridentifier.com once before, successfully, and it looks like they may have your number:

http://www.driveridentifier.com/scan/conexant-smartaudio-hd/download/1788525705/39E5773FF84E48AFBE7F111391055E1D/HDAUDIO%5CFUNC_01%26VEN_14F1%26DEV_510F%26SUBSYS_1043138D

This webpage layout is misleading; they don’t actually let you download the drivers, you have to install their scanner and let it have its way with your system -- not too bad if you have the luxury of doing it on a practice install.  Let it scan your system, then try the drivers in the order they present them (first is likeliest to work, etc., as I recall).

Kind of low-brow, I know, but it did work for me.  It may put junk on your computer, so I personally wouldn’t loose it except on a practice installation.  Nab that driver, then scratch your partition and start over.

• 3 months later...

Well I did what bluebolt said and got drivers. I ran Windows XP updates, installed the drivers and it works! :thumbup

After a reboot however the sound went away. I fixed this by "updating the driver" again and not rebooting for 5 mins. Now sound works regardless of reboots.

Also installed the XP "updates til 2019" patch and my mother's laptop is good to go.

Edited by AnX