How to Create and Enter the nameless folder

I’ve two nameless folders (created by virus in Flash Drive). I tried to find out the name with dir /x. One shows short name but another one shows nothing (Attached Screenshot). How to find out the actual name or enter to this folder? How to create nameless folder with batch? 

post-322156-0-55069200-1418365072_thumb.

post-322156-0-73153000-1418365073_thumb.

My first guess is that the folder's name is the delete character, ALT+255. In Windows 98, you could create a folder with the delete and only be able to access it from the command prompt. Trying to enter it from Explorer would result in a "folder does not exist" message. Explorer starting with XP has been able to enter a folder with this name... so if that is the case you should be able to get to it. Do you get an error when you try to open it from Explorer?

Try what 7-zip sees, only seemingly unrelated, JFYI:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/131103-win-ntbt-can-be-omitted/

jaclaz

Useful link. But no direction for entering into nameless directory (my screenshot).

post-322156-0-74336600-1418397182_thumb.

I want this to find and delete some specific files from a directory and it’s subdirectory (including nameless directory). Is there any way to delete all exe and inf file from a directory and it’s subdirectory? For example I want to delete all exe and inf extension files from my D: drive (from it’s directory and it’s subdirectory). For your kind attraction a clue here. (for /f %%i in ('"dir /s /b /ad "%temp%"" 2^>nul') do RD /S /Q %%i 1>nul 2>nul)

I tried like below. 

for /f %%i in ('"dir /s /b /ad "d:"" 2^>nul') do del *.lnk *.exe /f /q %%i 1>nul 2>nul

I attached a test folder to try.Test.zip

My first guess is that the folder's name is the delete character, ALT+255. In Windows 98, you could create a folder with the delete and only be able to access it from the command prompt. Trying to enter it from Explorer would result in a "folder does not exist" message. Explorer starting with XP has been able to enter a folder with this name... so if that is the case you should be able to get to it. Do you get an error when you try to open it from Explorer?

I tried with windows 8.1 and 7. I don't get any error massage. I attached the folder as a test folder to try.

Whatever you attached does open fine in 7-zip (as expected).

The contents of the zip extracted to a temporary disk image mounted as drive K: \ show here (XP SP2):

K:\>dir /b/s

K:\Test

K:\Test\Nameless

K:\Test\á

K:\Test\Nameless\Exe.lnk

K:\Test\Nameless\Wise Disk Cleaner.lnk

K:\Test\Nameless\á

K:\Test\Nameless\á\a

K:\Test\Nameless\á\b

K:\Test\Nameless\á\Exe.lnk

K:\Test\Nameless\á\New Microsoft Word Document.doc

K:\Test\Nameless\á\New Text Document.exe

K:\Test\Nameless\á\Wise Disk Cleaner.lnk

K:\Test\Nameless\á\a\exe.lnk

K:\Test\Nameless\á\a\Wise Disk Cleaner.lnk

K:\Test\Nameless\á\b\1

K:\Test\Nameless\á\b\Exe.lnk

K:\Test\Nameless\á\b\New Text Document.exe

K:\Test\Nameless\á\b\Wise Disk Cleaner.lnk

K:\Test\Nameless\á\b\1\Exe.lnk

K:\Test\Nameless\ \b\1\New Text Document.exe

K:\Test\Nameless\ \b\1\Wise Disk Cleaner.lnk

K:\Test\ \New Text Document.exe

and also it opens in my Explorer (though listed as "blank")

The "á" is ALT+160 (am I allowed to say "as expected" :unsure: ?), it is displayed fine in my command window (possibly because of some codepage/font/whatever).

But you cannot select/copy/paste to (say) Notepad, as the "á" becomes a "blank".

It is very possible that there is simply NO way to "enter" into that folder from command line/batch, unless you manipulate directly the filesystem structures or you use an alternate program/shell/command processor, BUT double quotes may help:

K:\>dir "K:\test\á"

Il volume nell'unità K non ha etichetta.

Numero di serie del volume: FCAB-B3B8

Directory di K:\test\á

12/12/2014 17.28 <DIR> .

12/12/2014 17.28 <DIR> ..

12/12/2014 16.58 0 New Text Document.exe

1 File 0 byte

2 Directory 1.424.896 byte disponibili

i.e. this *almost* works:

@ECHO OFF

@FOR /F "tokens=*" %%A IN ('dir /B/S/AD') DO (

ECHO "%%A"

DIR /B/A-D "%%A"

)

jaclaz

Whatever you attached does open fine in 7-zip (as expected).

The contents of the zip extracted to a temporary disk image mounted as drive K: \ show here (XP SP2):

and also it opens in my Explorer (though listed as "blank")

The "á" is ALT+160 (am I allowed to say "as expected" :unsure: ?), it is displayed fine in my command window (possibly because of some codepage/font/whatever).

But you cannot select/copy/paste to (say) Notepad, as the "á" becomes a "blank".

It is very possible that there is simply NO way to "enter" into that folder from command line/batch, unless you manipulate directly the filesystem structures or you use an alternate program/shell/command processor, BUT double quotes may help

@ECHO OFF

@FOR /F "tokens=*" %%A IN ('dir /B/S/AD') DO (

ECHO "%%A"

DIR /B/A-D "%%A"

)

jaclaz

I tested in XP. Your command above shows the file index correctly. That means name of nameless folder can be varied depending on OS version. So how can I delete  *.lnk, *.exe file or a folder (new folder) from a directory and it’s subdirectory (including nameless directory)? I tried your command slightly changing. Is it OK?

@ECHO OFF

set file=*.lnk *.exe

@FOR /F "tokens=*" %%A IN ('dir /B/S %file% 2^>nul') DO (

del /f /q "%%A"

RD “new folder” /S /Q "%%A"

)

No. :no:

The DEL command should work but it uncnditionally removes ALL .exe and .lnk files from current directory and all it's subfolders :w00t: a teeny/tiny error (like running it from another drive/path) and you could create havoc on a system :ph34r: .

The RD one cannot, and it is potentially dangerous with the /S switch:

http://ss64.com/nt/rd.html

Try posting the output of your actual directory structure and explain what exactly you need to do (or if the "test" you posted is OK, post how that structure should be changed after running the batch).

jaclaz

No. :no:

The DEL command should work but it uncnditionally removes ALL .exe and .lnk files from current directory and all it's subfolders :w00t: a teeny/tiny error (like running it from another drive/path) and you could create havoc on a system :ph34r: .

The RD one cannot, and it is potentially dangerous with the /S switch:

Try posting the output of your actual directory structure and explain what exactly you need to do (or if the "test" you posted is OK, post how that structure should be changed after running the batch).

jaclaz

I got some virus affected Laptop from my friends. When Flash drive plugins, virus copies all the files and folders of flash drive into a folder and renames the folder as nameless and also makes the folder hidden. Then virus creates some shortcut and exe file matching with original file and folder name. User only can see the shortcut and exe. New user can’t understand the matter and tries double click. Surprise is that Avast can’t detect the virus. MS Defender removes as threat but original file folder remains hidden. So I made a batch file on the desktop with the following command.

@echo off

title Clean USB

echo.

echo.

set /p Letter= Enter your Flash drive/USB Drive Letter here:

%Letter%:

cls

echo.

echo.

ECHO Please wait...

ECHO Windows is Cleaning Virus from your Flash drive.

attrib -h -s -a -r  *.* /s /d

del *.exe /f /q

del *.lnk /f /q

del *.vbs /f /q

del *.inf /f /q

del *.cmd /f /q

del *.bat /f /q

rd Recycler /S /Q

RD /S /Q RECYCLER

exit

The batch removes all the shortcut and exe files from target drive (flash drive) and makes the hidden folder (nameless folder) visible. But I found same shortcut and exe files, recycler folder in the nameless folder (also in the sub directory). So I need modify my command above to remove shortcut and exe files, recycler folder from flash drive and also from subdirectory. I think your command (modified by me) below is working (I tested) for the shortcut and exe files but recycler folder. I need the batch for both files and folders.

@echo off

title Clean USB

echo.

echo.

set /p Letter= Enter your Pendrive/USB Drive Letter here:

%Letter%:

set file=*.lnk *.exe *.inf *.vbs *.cmd *.bat

del /f /q "%%A" 1>nul 2>nul

rd Recycler /S /Q "%%A" 1>nul 2>nul

)

exit

Yes, but you cannot "invent" syntax.

RD is used:
wit this syntax:

Syntax
RD pathname
RD /S pathname
RD /S /Q pathname

Your line is:

rd Recycler /S /Q "%%A"

or:

RD <a folder name that SHOULD NOT be here> /S /Q <a full path to a file that makes NO SENSE as it is NOT a directory>

So, you want something more *like*

REM rd Recycler /S /Q "%%A" 1>nul 2>nul

ECHO RD /S/Q "%%~dpA" | FIND /i "Recycler"

but your batch as is represents more generally (in my perverted mind) a reckless, dangerous and potentially destructive tool :ph34r:, and you should IMHO restart from scratch, adding each and every possible check (+1) to make sure that it CANNOT be run on anything else but a such infected USB stick and that it will ONLY delete the files and folders added by the "virus" in that (those) nameless folders.

What I am trying to tell you is that - no offence intended :) - your current approach is way too aggressive and it can potentially destroy the "good" contents of a USB stick or even of an internal disk volume in the hands of a "new user" and that you should rethink the thingy making it - within limits - as foolproof as possible.

jaclaz.

jaclaz is correct, reckless is a fair assessment of what you are intending to do.

If you are going to delete most of the executable files from my pen drive then you may as well have just formatted the thing because apart from a few pictures there'd be very little left worth keeping!

but your batch as is represents more generally (in my perverted mind) a reckless, dangerous and potentially destructive tool :ph34r:, and you should IMHO restart from scratch, adding each and every possible check (+1) to make sure that it CANNOT be run on anything else but a such infected USB stick and that it will ONLY delete the files and folders added by the "virus" in that (those) nameless folders.

What I am trying to tell you is that - no offence intended :) - your current approach is way too aggressive and it can potentially destroy the "good" contents of a USB stick or even of an internal disk volume in the hands of a "new user" and that you should rethink the thingy making it - within limits - as foolproof as possible.

jaclaz.

Good instruction. Yes, It’s right that it may harm if we use the batch in another place. We generally put class tutorial (Office file, pdf, audio, video, Image) in our flash drive and share it with each other. We are aware about exe, inf, vbs, reg, cmd and can delete these files. So can I use the command bellow and will it work perfectly (for directory and subdirectory)?

@echo off

title Clean USB

echo.

echo.

set /p Letter= Enter your Pendrive/USB Drive Letter here:

%Letter%:

set file=*.lnk *.exe *.inf *.vbs *.cmd *.bat

del /f /q "%%A" 1>nul 2>nul

)

exit

2 of my foolish questions: Answer pleas.

1. What is the deference between dir /B /S /AD and dir /B/S/AD, RD /S/Q and RD /S /Q, 2^>nul and 2>nul ? (space and "^" sign).
  2. No way to rename nameless folder with batch?

1. The intended separator for switches on these command line tools is "/" (forward slash), for all the command interpreter knows there is NO difference between:
dir /B /S /AD 
and:
dir /B/S/AD 

2. Why not?

@ECHO OFFSETLOCAL ENABLEEXTENSIONS@FOR /F "tokens=*" %%A IN ('dir /B/S/AD') DO (CALL :do_ren "%%A")GOTO :EOF:do_renSET nameless=%1SET nameless=%nameless:~-2,1%REM The character> <below is created by typing ALT+0160IF "%nameless%"==" " ECHO Nameless is found:&& ECHO REN %1 MickeyMouseREM The character> <above is created by typing ALT+0160GOTO :EOF

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

kali, you need to understand that you will not get any responsible Member here to condone what you intend to do.

If the problem is with a 'nameless' directory and its content, then that is all any responsible code should be targeting; not the device containing that directory.

kali, you need to understand that you will not get any responsible Member here to condone what you intend to do.

If the problem is with a 'nameless' directory and its content, then that is all any responsible code should be targeting; not the device containing that directory.

Well said :thumbup , and I would add that allowing a "new user" to type *any* drive letter (actually *anything* as there is NO input control of any kind) at the SET /P prompt may result, besides likely breaking the batch execution, in targeting ANOTHER device, where each and every *.lnk *.exe *.inf *.vbs *.cmd *.bat will be deleted :ph34r:.

You need to be d@mn sure that the user cannot enter anything but a drive letter, actually anything but a drive letter related to a USB stick, and check (and double check) that the nameless directory(ies) exist on that drive BEFORE EVEN THINKING of deleting (or renaming) ANYTHING.

In this sense the last snippet I posted is much safer, in the sense that it will only rename the directory(ies) which name is only "ALT+0160", and in any case a "wrong rename" is usually easier to revert than undeleting tens, huindreds or thousands of files.

jaclaz

P.S. And now, for NO apparent reason, marriedtothesea :w00t:

this-is-what-i-get.gif

http://www.marriedtothesea.com/041808/this-is-what-i-get.gif

P.S.: Oneliner:

@ECHO OFF&FOR /F "tokens=*" %%A IN ('dir /B/S/AD ^|FIND "\ " ^|FIND /V "\ \"') DO ECHO Nameless is found:&& ECHO REN "%%A" MickeyMouse
Edited by jaclaz