any windows 3.11 gurus kickin around?

supernova777

One that is within the range your gateway/router is configured to accept. When you ran mTCP DHCP, it only added 1 the the I.P. of Trumpet. So, you are probably safe following that example. For every static I.P. you need, you can probably just add one. Certainly, 254 is the max. However, some routers are configured for a shorter range. Since you gateway is 192.168.1.254, 254 is off limits. Any other I.P. already in use, on the network, is also off limits.

With Trumpet, you can check the main log Window.

With WATTCP, there is an option in the config, to save the DHCP settings to a file. Obviously, if you specify a static address, that should be the I.P. you are using.

I believe, if mTCP programs are not pre-assigned DHCP in the config, they will display the information during execution.

If you need your host I.P., for Windows you can follow these directions. Those are for Win10&11. But its very similar for other Windows.

If you need to find out what other I.P.s are on you network, it might be good to have a administer access to your gateway/router. That should, at the very least, have a log. But more then likely, It will have detailed network client information and status.

---Some Notes---

Since you say you are kinda just learning things, there are some things I'd like to put out there.

There is a ton of information that could be included in this thread. You and I are just stumbling on them as subjects occur. But with that said, even on the subjects we have touched on, there is plenty of undisclosed information.

For example, with the setup you are now using, it should be possible to use all static addresses having the same I.P.. But there is potential for occasional conflicts. I have never had one, when run that way. But, I am sure it is possible. My explanation for suggesting the setup you have now, is that it is the more "By the Book" clean approach. Since you are having some configuration issues, it seems best to apply the most diagnostic friendly setup.

Earlier we had you running PKTDRV in MsDos Prompts. For me, that has worked pretty well, for some projects. But, by the nature of these components, I have occasionally ran into memory conflicts. The constraints involved there are a deeper subject. With appropriate care and consideration, those conflicts can be avoided. The simple rule of thumb, is to unload every PKTDRV before closing the MsDos Prompt, that loaded it. You would run the desired application, in between loading and unloading, from that same prompt. And if loading multiple MsDos Prompt PKTDRV sessions, manually specifying each new interrupt would be advisable. Separate Dos VMs (Windows MsDos Prompts) don't acknowledge, or at least don't always acknowledge, each others interrupt use. They will tend to only acknowledge real Dos interrupt use. PKTMUX is running in real dos. But even without that real/VM Dos crossover, there is probably potential for conflict.

I do question if there is still *somehow* an issue with the D.N.S.. It seems the documentation(s) often say you may need to use your gateways as the D.N.S.. Some of the automatic configurations do exactly that. But too me, using your actual D.N.S. would be more appropriate.

But, I too hope it works.

Maybe, the Links DNS could be useful.

But for connectivity issues, resolving the host (www.somepage.com), it is more probably related to D.N.S. settings in the config file.

We know that you get an I.P., when one is requested from your router/gateway. We've seen that by running Trumpet and mTCP DHCP.

And if we use mTCP PING.EXE, we can test connectivity with D.N.S. servers.

So we know that the only issue is getting the browsers to resolve www.somesite.com into an I.P. address the browser can connect to. Sometimes, you can get around that by manually entering the site I.P. into the Browser. That could tell you for certain the browser is connecting, but just not resolving. After that, the more probable issue is, in this case, that the WATTCP.CFG is still incorrect somehow.

One less likely possibility is that, running in VirtualBox somehow prevents you from fully using multiple I.P. addresses at the same virtual Ethernet adapter. Since you can run Trumpet and mTCP DHCP, with different I.P.s, it suggests things are fine here.

And lastly, there could be something preventing connection to these I.P.s, outside of VirtualBox.

On 1/24/2023 at 7:37 PM, awkduck said:

After that, the more probable issue is, in this case, that the WATTCP.CFG is still incorrect somehow. And lastly, there could be something preventing connection to these I.P.s, outside of VirtualBox.

how can i find them?

Edited by shelby

Update, if you've read this far along. shelby is now able to connect. The issue was the unusual comment character used in "WATTCP.CFG". In Windows' INI files ";" is used as a comment/ignore character. Wattcp uses the Unix comment character "#".

A comment character was blocking a configuration option from being read.

But, the guidance about firewalls, involving VirtualBox generated I.P.s, is probably incorrect information. I have not used VirtualBox for much networking, and didn't understand its networking design. In the NAT configuration, all assigned I.P.s are handled internally. Outside of VirtualBox, any firewall just needs to allow VirtualBox network/internet access.

I probably should have assumed this is how VirtualBox worked, as the setting is called NAT. I was distracted, by my comparative testing using a real machine. !No excuse! :)

On 1/24/2023 at 4:26 AM, awkduck said:

For every static I.P. you need, you can probably just add one. Certainly, 254 is the max. However, some routers are configured for a shorter range. Since you gateway is 192.168.1.254, 254 is off limits. Any other I.P. already in use, on the network, is also off limits.

This info save me so i used some available ip's to connect both links and dillo. I use bridged network in my settings also NAT works fine. Thanx awkduck for every info you shared

• 3 months later...