Active Setup StubPath not working

post-322156-0-51307400-1417358846_thumb.

I want to add a reg file to Active Setup StubPath and I added like above. But it’s not working. I also tried regedit /s “%WINDIR%\Avro_prof.reg” and “%WINDIR%\Avro_prof.cmd” etc command. I put Avro_prof.reg and Avro_prof.cmd in Windows folder. But it shows like below in HKCU.

post-322156-0-83494900-1417358844_thumb.

Edited by kali
Removed links to another forum, which requires membership to view

Did you try (and succeed) with NOTEPAD (as you were suggested)?

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/173033-administrative-user-doesn’t-write-registry-settings-in-hkey-current-user/?p=1089447

BTW, the images you posted on sevenforum do not show here.

jaclaz

Yes, I tested notepad like following and worked fine. I also tested regedit, wordpad successfully. But when I try to add command it doesn't work.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\Avro]
@="Kali's Omicroblab Avro Keyboard"
"StubPath"="notepad"

So, the activesetup "mechanism" works fine.

I still cannot see your screenshots (not that they will most probably be of any actual use) post the actual commands and registry entries that you tested (and that fail) and explain in your words what happens or what fails to happen.

jaclaz

So, the activesetup "mechanism" works fine.

I still cannot see your screenshots (not that they will most probably be of any actual use) post the actual commands and registry entries that you tested (and that fail) and explain in your words what happens or what fails to happen.

jaclaz

@="Kali's OmicronLab Avro Keyboard"

"StubPath"="notepad"

The command above is working but the following. I want to add my reg file Avro_prof.reg saved in windows directory.

"StubPath"="regedit /s %WINDIR%\Avro_prof.reg"

Kali, please don't expect us to join another forum in order to view information pertinent to your posts here!

(the links have been removed from your opening post as a result)

Sorry.

But does regedit.exe runs (or it does not)?

I mean, does this work?

"StubPath"="regedit.exe"

Maybe the issue is with the expansion of the variable %WINDIR%.

Try with an already expanded path, like:

"StubPath"="regedit.exe /s /C:\windows\Avro_prof.reg"

Or maybe there is a permission issue of some kind.

Try also running the given here batch:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/173033-administrative-user-doesn’t-write-registry-settings-in-hkey-current-user/?p=1089377

jaclaz

But does regedit.exe runs (or it does not)?

I mean, does this work?

"StubPath"="regedit.exe"

Yes, It works.

post-322156-0-74897800-1417370749_thumb.

Maybe the issue is with the expansion of the variable %WINDIR%.
Try with an already expanded path, like:

"StubPath"="regedit.exe /s /C:\windows\Avro_prof.reg"

I also tried regedit /s c:\Windows\Avro_prof.reg, regedit /s c:\\Windows\\Avro_prof.reg

To use the %WINDIR% the key must be of the type REG_EXPAND_SZ, but the "already expanded" path should work even if the key is a more plain REG_SZ :unsure:

AGAIN:

or even a simpler batch *like*:

@ECHO OFFECHO attempting to run Regedit ...regedit.exe /s /C:\windows\Avro_prof.regregedit.exePAUSE

Have you actually checked that the Avro_prof.reg actually works when run manually?

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

To use the %WINDIR% the key must be of the type REG_EXPAND_SZ, but the "already expanded" path should work even if the key is a more plain REG_SZ :unsure:

jaclaz

Thanks. Just awesome, REG_EXPAND_SZ is working. I added the command below.

REG ADD %Avro_active% /v "StubPath" /d "regedit /s %WINDIR%\Avro_prof.reg" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /f 1>nul 2>nul

Will it work in XP to later OS both 32bit and 64bit?

It should work as well, though you may need to experiment what happens with UAC, see:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com:443/Forums/windowsdesktop/en-US/2f0ed426-bba1-4b77-834c-5e3056d8403f/active-setup-limitations-under-windows-7?forum=windowsgeneraldevelopmentissues

jaclaz

jaclaz

REG ADD %Avro_active% /v "StubPath" /d "regedit /s %WINDIR%\Avro_prof.reg" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /f 1>nul 2>nul

Are you sure you added the command 'in color'?

The reason I ask is that the line in cmd would automatically expand %windir% when reg adding it

…it should read:

REG ADD … %%WINDIR%%\Avro_prof.reg

jaclaz

Are you sure you added the command 'in color'?

The reason I ask is that the line in cmd would automatically expand %windir% when reg adding it

…it should read:

Yes, I directly added the command in my batch. At 1st added the reg key manually opening registry editor. I got it's woriking fine. Then I tried with batch (.bat not .cmd) and it's result also OK.

But I saw exporting the registry settings of active setup, %WINDIR%\Avro_prof.reg is showing in hex value. So 1st time I tried the hex code in my batch. But it's not working. The batch file only adds StubPath without data (%WINDIR%\Avro_prof.reg). Then I added %WINDIR%\Avro_prof.reg directly and it worked. That means REG_SZ shows original value (%WINDIR%\Avro_prof.reg) but REG_EXPAND_SZ is transfored into hex in reg exported file and I could not add this hex code in reg with batch command.

And yes, I tried with administrative privilage. UAC is not problem. I'm working in Win7. Sorry for my bad english.

Yes, you are correct, I think. Let me try again and I'll be back again with feedback.

Edited by kali

The only possible issue with running on 64bit is that your registry entries may end up in the wow6432node of the registry. This may or may not cause problems, it depends on how the software works.

Thanks.