Awesome Results - WMP11+IE8+Updates Integrated With No Problems

Xtremetic

I have previously attempted to use nLite, but with unsatisfactory results because it breaks things and unattended setup never seems to work the way I want it to.  I know thousands of people swear by it, so the problem could be me.  Anyway, I took the plunge with HFSLIP and the results have exceeded my expectations.  I was skeptical about it's ability to slipstream WMP11 and IE8 after reading some comments in forums and articles online, especially as the official HFSLIP website does not inspire confidence in slipstreaming these items.  I used these files in the HF folder -wmp11-windowsxp-x86-enu.exe and IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe, along with 134 security and hotfix updates, excluding the security updates for IE8 and WMP11.  Everything integrated without hitch and once Windows XP Home Edition was installed Automatic Updates provided a list of the security updates needed for these two applications.  It seemed unlikely that HFSLIP could integrate their security updates without them being slipstreamed into Windows first, then running HFSLIP a second time on the Sources folder to slipstream their updates.  However, I did make a second ISO with IE8, WMP11 and their updates slipstreamed together, and once Windows was installed Windows Update did not indicate that these updates were required.  I tried running WMP11 by playing an mpeg, avi and wmv file and everything seemed fine.  IE8 appeared to be working OK.

The only problem I experienced was  UnattendSwitch="Yes" in winnt.sif that is attended to suppress the 'Lets setup Windows XP now' wizard.  I found that it produced a number of spurious User sub folders in the Documents and Settings folder.

I was particularly surprised at the successful integration of WMP11, because nLite cannot use the Microsoft installer, but requires the WMP11 Slipstreamer to be used first on the source.  Similarly, nLite cannot slipstream the Microsoft DX9.0c June 2010 update, but needs a custom addon instead.

From my limited experience of HFSLIP I conclude that it is the most powerful and flexible XP/2K/2003 slipstreamer available, and although it presents a steep learning curve for newbies, the time and effort mastering it is worthwhile.  OK, where do you make a donation?

winnt.sif

Edited by Xtremetic

From my limited experience of HFSLIP I conclude that it is the most powerful and flexible XP/2K/2003 slipstreamer available, and although it presents a steep learning curve for newbies, the time and effort mastering it is worthwhile.  OK, where do you make a donation?

Send a PM to Mim0 and ask him directly:

http://hfslip.altervista.org/contact.htm

jaclaz