Possible hope for old browsers

bpalone

I found out about this in the forums over at LinuxVoice.com and thought that maybe it deserved being mentioned here. Maybe, some of the members might want to join in and help with the project.

It is not a total solution, but might be heading down a path could lead to a resolution of the outdated browser delima many here face.

The article is here: http://virtuallyfun.superglobalmegacorp.com/?p=3866

UPDATE: Link to Web Rendering Proxy by the same party: http://virtuallyfun.superglobalmegacorp.com/?p=3910

Here is a quote from it:

Quite a while ago I’ve came across Opera rendering proxy for mobile browsers. This got me thinking. If you could render a web page on a proxy server to a simplified HTML, say 3.x. This would make a lot of web browsers happy. For some unrelated purposes I have been using webkit2png which allows to create a whole web page snapshot in a single png image. Wait… what if such image had an image map of clickable regions pointing to the original links? Maybe…

I know this is getting off into a technical area, but more and more of us are facing the outdated browser issue and I thought this might be a better place, as more folks would see it. If the Mods think it needs moved, I understand.

bpalone

edit to add another link

Edited by bpalone

I found out about this in the forums over at LinuxVoice.com and thought that maybe it deserved being mentioned here. Maybe, some of the members might want to join in and help with the project.

It is not a total solution, but might be heading down a path could lead to a resolution of the outdated browser delima many here face.

I know this is getting off into a technical area, but more and more of us are facing the outdated browser issue and I thought this might be a better place, as more folks would see it.

Nice this is wonderful. Personally Im not in need of something like this, but would really like one, so I can return to opera 10.63

This is amazing, I tested in my ibook G3 and works great. My toshiba 50CT with windows 3.1 never render so fast :)

Now a windows version of the script will be a must, i dont use OSX almost never (in fact, i still have the ibook just for OS9)

• 2 weeks later...