Mt. Gox Bitcoin Exchange is Bankrupt

Monroe

Sad story of the the young woman possibly committing suicide ... maybe there is more to it but it's still sad ... too bad she couldn't have just tried starting over from square 1 or 2. Unless there is more to the story ...

... and then another Bitcoin exchange has gone down from bpalone's post ... Flexcoin is shutting down.

more on the story that jaclaz posted about the gold coins found in California. There is a report saying the coins were stolen in 1900 from the US Mint ... have to see where that goes. Somebody buried the coins and never came back for them and never wrote anything down or told anybody about the gold. I posted a small paragraph near the bottom from the article where the US Mint seems to have nothing to say about this story.

$10M Gold Coin Hoard Found in Yard May Have Been Stolen From Mint

http://gma.yahoo.com/10m-gold-coin-hoard-found-yard-may-stolen-141317823--abc-news-personal-finance.html?vp=1

A California couple who found a stash of buried gold coins valued at $10 million may not be so lucky after all. The coins may have been stolen from the U.S. Mint in 1900 and thus be the property of the government, according to a published report.

The San Francisco Chronicle's website reported that a search of the Haithi Trust Digital Library provided by Northern California fishing guide Jack Trout, who is also a historian and collector of rare coins, turned up the news of the theft.

The California couple, who have not been identified, spotted the edge of an old can on a path they had hiked many times before several months ago. Poking at the can was the first step in uncovering a buried treasure of rare coins estimated to be worth $10 million.

"It was like finding a hot potato," the couple told coin expert Don Kagin from Kagin's, Inc. The couple hired the president of Kagin's, Inc. and Holabird-Kagin Americana, a western Americana dealer and auctioneer, to represent them.

The coins are mostly uncirculated and in mint condition, and they add up in face value to $27,000. "Those two facts are a match of the gold heist in 1900 from the San Francisco Mint," the newspaper reported.

Jack Trout told the paper that an 1866 Liberty $20 gold piece without the words "In God We Trust" was part of the buried stash, and the coin may fetch over $1 million at auction because it's so rare.

"This was someone's private coin, created by the mint manager or someone with access to the inner workings of the Old Granite Lady (San Francisco Mint)," Trout told the newspaper. "It was likely created in revenge for the assassination of Lincoln the previous year (April 14, 1865). I don't believe that coin ever left The Mint until the robbery. For it to show up as part of the treasure find links it directly to that inside job at the turn of the century at the San Francisco Mint."

.... however the US Mint is saying something a little different.

Mint spokesman Adam Stump issued this statement when contacted today by ABC News: "We do not have any information linking the Saddle Ridge Hoard coins to any thefts at any United States Mint facility. Surviving agency records from the San Francisco Mint have been retired to the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), under Record Group 104. Access to the records is under NARA's jurisdiction: http://www.archives.gov/."

Edited by monroe

They should have melted those gold coins down... then they'd have plausible deniability.

"Oh look, I just happened to have found this gigantic gold nugget in my backyard. It's like all shiny and new. Hey, weird, huh?"

Perhaps they could have just kept quiet and taken a few coins every so often to a dealer to sell. Just say the coins were left by an older relative to the family and just slowly get rid of them. Of course doing it that way would take forever and would have to maybe be passed on to other family members. Also, who could really keep quiet about a find like that ... it's human nature to "shout it out" to the world, remember the old prospector from old western films ... they finally discover the "glory hole" or "mother lode" ... come back to town, start buying drinks for everybody, grab 15 minutes of fame and then the next morning they are found dead behind the saloon.

I would hate to see them melted down since they were in such great condition ... maybe there should be a nice reward for finding the coins ... the gold is worth much more today than when they were minted and the coins would sell at a great price just for the condition ... there could be a nice reward there or let the couple keep some coins tax free.

I don't think that having they discovered the coins on their own property, and being the coins so old, there can be any issue about property:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasure_trove

http://www.muenzgeschichte.ch/downloads/laws-usa.pdf

unlike banknotes, coins do not have a serial number, and unlike - say - a painting or a statue or a jewel/ring/bracelet/etc. they are not distinguishable from similar items of the same mint.

As such it would be really hard to connect them to any robbery or more generally to any felony and/or connect them to the original proprietor, though it is possible that local Law requires to give 'em in custody to the Police, to be returned if after an adequate period of time if no claim (or no valid claim) is made by the original proprietor.

The real issue :ph34r:, as I see it, is the IRS (and State taxes), JFYI:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2014/02/26/couple-finds-10-million-in-gold-coins-taxes-take-half/

jaclaz

I guess this is sort of like finding Spanish or Pirate treasure off the coast of Florida ... I think Florida goes after every discovery ... not sure about the IRS but they may be in there somewhere also. Maybe if they made a deal with the IRS to give them half the coins and then be left alone with the coins they still have, to do what they want.

I just recently saw something on TV where a large treasure was found in International waters ... a Spanish ship or ships were on their way back to Spain with gold and precious gems from the New World only to be sunk by a hurricane ... Spain insists everything belongs to Spain even though the discovery was in International waters. One of the finder ships was blocked from leaving port somewhere by the Spanish navy.

I would think "money hungry" California would also want in on the tax bite. I would say just keep quiet and get rid of a few here and there but it would take a lifetime to sell that many in "quiet mode" or do what LostInSpace suggested ... melt them down and loose the coin value and sell at today's gold price ... just hate to see some history destroyed going that route.

Update to this story.

I apologize, but I did not gather the source data. Nevertheless, I did read on slashdot.org yesterday that the authorities say that her death was not suspicious which rules out homicide. There wasn't much else stated.

bpalone