Modifying ieframe.dll Windows 8.1

Tusticles

I tried to change the bmp resources using restorator/reshacker and Internet Explorer won't open anymore, restoring back the original dll will fix it. Any idea how to modify this dll without breaking IE? I want to change the navigation buttons.

Thank you.

Yes because twenty hours is totally enough time for someone who might know what you broke to come along...

Broke? I just changed the navigation buttons(bmp resources) inside dll using reshacker/restorator. In windows 7 was so easy to modify the system files... take ownership -> edit -> replace. Something is different in Win8/8.1.

Edited by Tusticles

Well, you were the one to first say you broke it. :)

I tried to change the bmp resources using restorator/reshacker and Internet Explorer won't open anymore, restoring back the original dll will fix it. Any idea how to modify this dll without breaking IE?

Cheers and Regards

Well, you were the one to first say you broke it. :)

I tried to change the bmp resources using restorator/reshacker and Internet Explorer won't open anymore, restoring back the original dll will fix it. Any idea how to modify this dll without breaking IE?

Cheers and Regards

Is more like a security, I changed only some img resources...

The way it worked in xp and seven was the dll's are signed.

When you changed a resource in them you actually broke the internal crc signing thus breaking the dll's.

We used to have to run modifype and then change the 3 copies of any singed dll's.

It's not as simple as changing the bmp it's much harder.

When you changed a resource in them you actually broke the internal crc signing thus breaking the dll's.

We used to have to run modifype and then change the 3 copies of any singed dll's.

A similar thing happens if you try to modify signed drivers. At least those can work for testing purposes because you can disable Driver Signature Enforcement.

:no: