Use Vista After 2017?

11ryanc

That is true, plus compatibility modified or not won't get that bad because of the fact of Windows Server 2008 being supported until 2020. Windows Server 2008 updates would probably work on Vista as well, being that both use the exact same NT 6.0 core. Only thing that can cause it not to work is Server 2008 has changes at it's core that make it a server, these changes are very little but never the less there. A Server 2008 update could probably install on Vista, but there is a chance it would have to be modified first. It would be much easier to use Server 2008 updates than it would to use Win7/Win8 updates. Server 2008 has the same core as Vista, only slightly modified to be used as a server.

But regardless I think Vista will be ok 3 years beyond the end of support date, it just won't have any new updates from Windows Update. But as long as Server 2008 is getting compatibility, so is Vista. Plus it has the same driver model as Windows 7 for the most part, runs DX11 etc.

Edited by 11ryanc

• 1 year later...

Well there is one advantage for Vista, that is Windows Server 2008. I used that OS in the past and pretty much had all the features turned on, but because of a few missing fearures I went back to Vista Ultimate. But both Server 2008 and Server2k8 R2 will be supported until 2020.

What features were missing on Windows Server 2008 that Vista had?

:)

(I'm also wondering if Server 2008 updates will be portable to Vista, but there's no news on that front.

The same code-base means they ought to be portable, all right!

It's just like XP x64 and Server 2003.

Rest assured that people'll start porting (if any mods are needed, at all) as soon as Vista goes EoS.

The current Vista user-base is mostly true die-hards, who'll keep the fire burning as long as they can. :thumbup

dunno about vista

but for win7 users, they can jump to W7EPOS

but rest assured vista,7 and 8 will be thrown in mud

theres little that community can do about it

XP only got lucky coz of WEPOS, maybe 7 will too

depends of MS's counter-measures regarding patches

but vista is a no go

dunno about vista

but for win7 users, they can jump to W7EPOS

but vista is a no go

Yes but Windows Server 2003 updates extended XP x64 by a year (same codebase)

And Windows Server 2008 "Classic" could extend Vista to 2020 because it shares the same codebase as Vista.

We're not expecting Microsoft to step up at all.  We just keep hoping that some person will attempt hacking the updates to make them compatible.

Well there is one advantage for Vista, that is Windows Server 2008. I used that OS in the past and pretty much had all the features turned on, but because of a few missing fearures I went back to Vista Ultimate. But both Server 2008 and Server2k8 R2 will be supported until 2020.

What features were missing on Windows Server 2008 that Vista had?

:)

(I'm also wondering if Server 2008 updates will be portable to Vista, but there's no news on that front.

Very little. Server 2008 essentially IS Vista, merely for servers. Same Service Pack model, identical updates, same shell. Just not really worth hopping off a client OS in it's favor, imo. Sometimes drivers and security software will lock you out too. It's almost certain it's updates will make it to Vista, however. Vista and 08 are probably closer to each other than XP and POS 2009. So not really worried there. 3rd party support is the deal now. Modern Vegas/Adobe stuff doesn't like it, nor does Intel HD. But with AMD and Nvidia, it's simple to get going. Light mods away at best. Common software is fine too.

Yes, I agree with @dencorso. Not many of us left, but the few users are diehards to the OS. Too close to 7 anyway to die that easily. I'm confident Server 2008 updates will make it just fine. Used the OS as main before, it's identical in just about every way possible. Here's what I did to it at one time (Deviantart link): http://fav.me/d7rkjla

My Vista screen.  A bit customized with smaller basic buttons and a lighter blue basic Win7 style menu.

attachicon.gifVista.jpg

That's actually quite nice looking  :yes:  Borders remind me of the basic theming from some of the later Longhorn builds, start has a Windows 7 6801 form. You should try and get the 7 Beta Shellstyle cpl panel styling too. Though I personally like Vista's darker/green aesthetic.

I have to agree with vinifera there ^ NT 6 sourced doesn't do so well without DWM turned on. I saw a mod on Deviantart once, it was the Classic UI, but themed under DWM. Maybe there's a basic concept too?

(Nice to see Pale Moon in use btw)

Edited by 11ryanc