bigmuscle

Dave, please edit your post and take out the link.  Bigmuscle knows about it.  He's had several conversations with the slime that does the cracking.

Sorry it never occured to me about the link. I think BigMuscle deleted that post of mine or MSFN did. I should have private messaged him instead with the link

I think I found a bug caused by Aero Glass for Win8.1.  My installation is the default, but with the win8cp.png file replaced with a more default-looking theme.  I have not added blurring behind the taskbar or any other customizations.

When I click and drag the mouse up and down on anything pinned to the taskbar, the Jump List is opaque instead of semi-transparent as it should be.  Normally there's a gradient of transparency based on the location of the mouse; opaque on top and transparent on the bottom.

BTW, I love having Aero on Windows 8.1!

post-395756-0-20786000-1406044515.png

I think I found a bug caused by Aero Glass for Win8.1.  My installation is the default, but with the win8cp.png file replaced with a more default-looking theme.  I have not added blurring behind the taskbar or any other customizations.

When I click and drag the mouse up and down on anything pinned to the taskbar, the Jump List is opaque instead of semi-transparent as it should be.  Normally there's a gradient of transparency based on the location of the mouse; opaque on top and transparent on the bottom.

BTW, I love having Aero on Windows 8.1!

That is the default behavior of the context menu. The preview will have the transparency when you hover the mouse over it. I have had AeroGlass from day one, and this has always been the case for context menus.

Mine has transparency!  Windows 8.1 Update 1 x64 Pro WMC

Screenshot_22.png

In that picture your Jump List is fully open.  I'm talking about when the menu is dragged open (more commonly done on a touchscreen).  Click on an icon and drag the mouse up and down to see what I'm talking about.

I didn't do my research well enough, I found that what I'm seeing out of place is that the Jump List is in front of the taskbar.  If you compare my attachment of Window 8.1 without Aero (W8.1 Jumplist.png) to the attachment in my previous post, you will notice that the Jump List being in front of the taskbar is a bug.

On Windows 7 the Jump Lists had transparency of the whole "window," not just the border like I described in my previous post (see the attachment W7 Jumplist.png).

post-395756-0-49216900-1406079639.png

post-395756-0-09315100-1406079640.png

Yes, you are right.  Only my border has transparency.  In Windows 7 it only has transparency when you are "holding on" to it.  The second you let go it looks just the same as Windows 8.1 with BigMuscle's Aeroglass.  I tried, but can't get a screen shot of the jumplist in front of the task bar, but with mine it looks just the same, but sits down in front of the task bar.  It moves up and down with my mouse, but as soon as I let go of it it appears as in this screen shot!

Screenshot_23.png

Edited by dhjohns

Yup, the Jump List being in front of the taskbar is the bug.  I'm glad you were able to confirm that it's not specific to my setup.  It's minor, but I hope it gets fixed.

BTW, I got my screenshots by pressing Print Screen while holding the mouse button on the partially opened Jump List, then pasting into Paint.

Yup, the Jump List being in front of the taskbar is the bug.  I'm glad you were able to confirm that it's not specific to my setup.  It's minor, but I hope it gets fixed.

BTW, I got my screenshots by pressing Print Screen while holding the mouse button on the partially opened Jump List, then pasting into Paint.

But your jump lists are in BACK of the task bar, and mine are in front!  Maybe the bug is that yours is in back.  Pehaps mine is the way it SHOULD work.  Maybe neither is a bug, but by design!  I really don't know.  I mean, it IS a different operating system than Windows 7.  I would have to uninstall AeroGlass, and see how it works.  I have been using it for so long now, I don't really remember what it works like not running AeroGlass.  Maybe you are aware of default behavior for Windows 8.1.

This is getting confusing.  Let me restate the behaviors (hopefully in a clearer way).

The default behavior of stock Windows 8.1 is that the Jump Lists are always behind the taskbar (except when they are fully open and don't overlay with the taskbar at all).

The behavior that we are both seeing with bigmuscle's Aero is that Jump Lists are always in front of the taskbar (except, again, when fully open).

The pictures I showed in my previous post are stock Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 without Aero.  The picture in the post previous to my previous post is Windows 8.1 with Aero.

I've been watching this conversation... 

My question is:  Why would you ever want any menu behind the Taskbar at any time?  Are you just talking about the time when an animation of the opening of the menu is occurring?

For what it's worth, I avoid jump lists entirely, and I can't say I ever see anything in front of or behind the Taskbar at all.

-Noel

On Windows 7 the Jump Lists had transparency of the whole "window," not just the border like I described in my previous post (see the attachment W7 Jumplist.png).

I don't have much time now so I didn't read all the conversation here so I don't know whether your question has been answered. But I believe that this thing is caused by the used theme - Win7 theme has transparent jumplist while Win8.x theme does not have it. So probably nothing to be modified by my Aero Glass.