Compaq TC1000 won't boot from CF card larger than 504 MB!

ppgrainbow

A CF Card attached to an IDE Controller through a CF to IDE Adapter should be indistinguishable from a Hard Drive by the Operating System.

My suggestions about Hardware issues was related to the corrupted ID String you reported earlier. It is a sign of a specific problem affecting one bit in the data transfer. This would not be caused by media errors.

I have had problems with some adapters being flaky and/or not correctly handling the ATA protocol.

A CF Card attached to an IDE Controller through a CF to IDE Adapter should be indistinguishable from a Hard Drive by the Operating System.

My suggestions about Hardware issues was related to the corrupted ID String you reported earlier. It is a sign of a specific problem affecting one bit in the data transfer. This would not be caused by media errors.

I have had problems with some adapters being flaky and/or not correctly handling the ATA protocol.

That's true. It's obvious that I'm gonna have to get the IDE cables replaced as they're going bad. I believe that the bad IDE cables already destroyed the 30 GB hard drive and it's attempting to destroy the CF card even if it's fine and has only been in use for a couple of days.

To make matters worse, it turns out that some adapters don't handle the ATA protocol correctly and some motherboards will NOT even recognise the CF card on the CF-to-IDE adapter.

Regretably, also SATA to IDE or IDE to SATA adapters often present similar issues.

True. I think that it might be a result of poorly designed adapters. And the BIOS associated with the TC1000 is only adding more problems here.