How screwed am I? (Partition Problem)

It's good to see how you follow advice :unsure:.

The advice was:

1. boot to the second OS
  2. run CHKDSK from it first thing

The "autochck" message roughly means that the NTFS filesystem was actually marked as "dirty" and it attempted autorunning CHKDSK (but failed).

Now, take a deep breath.

Boot to the second OS.

From it, run CHKDSK on the "original" OS volume.

Run it in three stages (let's say that when booted to the second OS the "original" OS volume is drive letter D::

1. CHKDSK D:
  2. CHKDSK D: /F
  3. CHKDSK D: /R

Change drive letter accordingly to your settings if needed.

When you run the CHKDSK D: without parameters it should tell you that it found errors but that it could not repair them because parameter /F was not specified.

Post any error different from the above.

jaclaz

@dencorso

What I see below Attach Files

Attach This File You can upload up to Uploading is not allowed of files (Max. single file size: 100MB)

jaclaz

Uhhh! :crazy: Something is really very amiss, here!

So, please do bear with me and do some experimenting:

You get "You can upload up to Uploading is not allowed of files" ...

• just in this single thread
  • just in this sub-forum
  • both in this sub-forum and in its container forum
  • throughout all the forums

TIA for your patience! :thumbup

The same happens in "Windows Setup from USB" (of which I am also "moderator" - though "child of a lesser God" ;)) so I would say that it is "Board wide".
Maybe I have exceeded my overall "quota" ? :unsure:

I'll check my control panel (if I can find that page, I remember having seen once or twice) and report.

jaclaz

EDIT:
P.S. That's probably it:

Manage Attachments
You have used 7.15MB of 4.88MB
100%
You have 117 attachments (100% used)

Now, I may do with some extension to my quota (generally speaking) but most probably I found the culprit. :yes:
It's likely Tripredacus :w00t::ph34r: he sent me a small (around 2.5 Mb) image of a CD from which he wasn't able to extract the internal [boot] image through my little batch here (shameless plug):
http://reboot.pro/topic/12406-editing-iso-files/
http://reboot.pro/topic/12406-editing-iso-files/page-2#entry108486
very likely because he was running it into a stupid 7 or 8 - possibly even on a 64 bit system (besides using spaces and bangs "!" in file/folder names).
I extracted it and attached the result to a reply, and that probably messed up the counter or whatever (it should have not allowed me the upload then, I guess it is one of the usual "by design" things from the good IPB guys).
Will try deleting that attachment and see if situation changes.

EDIT2:
Confirmed:

Manage Attachments
You have used 4.76MB of 4.88MB
98%
You have 116 attachments (98% used)

Now (on this very thread):

Attach Files
You can upload up to 4.88MB of files (Max. single file size: 4.88MB)

It seems very like the good IPB guys (and/or *something* in the specific board settings) do not have a very clear idea of the difference between a "quota" and a "single file size" ...

Edited by jaclaz

It's good to see how you follow advice :unsure:.

The advice was:

1. boot to the second OS
  2. run CHKDSK from it first thing

The "autochck" message roughly means that the NTFS filesystem was actually marked as "dirty" and it attempted autorunning CHKDSK (but failed).

Now, take a deep breath.

Boot to the second OS.

From it, run CHKDSK on the "original" OS volume.

Run it in three stages (let's say that when booted to the second OS the "original" OS volume is drive letter D::

1. CHKDSK D:
  2. CHKDSK D: /F
  3. CHKDSK D: /R

Change drive letter accordingly to your settings if needed.

When you run the CHKDSK D: without parameters it should tell you that it found errors but that it could not repair them because parameter /F was not specified.

Post any error different from the above.

jaclaz

CHKDSK says it doesn't find any problems on either one of the partitions.

Also, I ran SFC and that said it had a few problems, should I post that log?

This is strange.

I mean the autochk is connected to the *need* to run chkdsk to fix some issue (evidently of a minor kind, since that volume booted afterwards).

I would run CHKDSK /F anyway on that volume, next.

Yes, post the SFC log, though most probably those problems are unrelated.

What we don' t really know is why exactly the tool that you attempted using to resize/move the partition crashed/stopèped.

It is possible that there was a problem "before" that and that this problem caused the failure. :unsure:

jaclaz

This is strange.

I mean the autochk is connected to the *need* to run chkdsk to fix some issue (evidently of a minor kind, since that volume booted afterwards).

I would run CHKDSK /F anyway on that volume, next.

Yes, post the SFC log, though most probably those problems are unrelated.

What we don' t really know is why exactly the tool that you attempted using to resize/move the partition crashed/stopèped.

It is possible that there was a problem "before" that and that this problem caused the failure. :unsure:

I have this strange problem (probably unrelated because it started happening before) where the second OS's partition gets mapped to a letter twice (ie. E:\ and F:\ point to the same location). Would this interfere with CHKDSK in any way and does it matter which drive letter I choose?

Edit: I've attached the CBS.log files (SFC checker). The smaller one is the second OS. Sorry that the're zip files but my current internet connection is so bad that the normal files would just cut out and plus, I can only upload 500kb of data.

I ran checkdisk and it said it found free space marked as allocated in the MFT.

CBS.zip

CBS (2ndOS).zip

Edited by Torchizard

My guess is that you are mixing in the same bag everything (and the kitchen sink) :w00t:

With the tool you used, and accordingly to your report, you did not touch the "2nd OS" volume, so each and every issue you have with that "2nd" install/OS is evidently unrelated.

It is actually a very good thing that you zipped those files :), as a matter of fact I always recommend to compress each and every attachment, because you send (and the board hosts) less bytes, and everyone will download less bytes, we must fight entropy and bloat, one byte at the time ;).

You must try to make more "exact" and "complete" reports, this "double" lettering of the same volume is "news" :ph34r:

Does this happen when you boot WHICH OS ("main" or "2nd")? (or does it happen in both)?

Which drive letters do you get when running each OS?

Do the following (booted in "main"):

• open a command prompt
  • type in it: mountvol >mainMV.txt
  • and press [ENTER]
reboot to "2nd OS"
  • open a command prompt
  • type in it: mountvol >2ndMV.txt
  • and press [ENTER]
Compress the two resulting files C:\mainMV.txt and C:\2ndMV.txt into a .zip archive and attach them.

You did not "run chkdsk", you either run chkdsk without parameters or with the /F parameter or with the /R parameter, and you ran it from either the "main" or "2nd" OS and you got a much more accurate report that you are not reporting exactly (details are important) and you did not specify on which volume you ran it.

Now, provided that the volume on which the "main" OS is (the middle partition) gets drive letter D:\ (or change accordingly), when the 2nd OS is booted do exactly this:

• boot to the "2nd" OS
  • open a command prompt
  • type in it chkdsk D: /F >mainCD.txt
  • and press [ENTER]
add the resulting file to the archive that you will attach.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

My guess is that you are mixing in the same bag everything (and the kitchen sink) :w00t:

With the tool you used, and accordingly to your report, you did not touch the "2nd OS" volume, so each and every issue you have with that "2nd" install/OS is evidently unrelated.

It is actually a very good thing that you zipped those files :), as a matter of fact I always recommend to compress each and every attachment, because you send (and the board hosts) less bytes, and everyone will download less bytes, we must fight entropy and bloat, one byte at the time ;).

You must try to make more "exact" and "complete" reports, this "double" lettering of the same volume is "news" :ph34r:

Does this happen when you boot WHICH OS ("main" or "2nd")? (or does it happen in both)?

Which drive letters do you get when running each OS?

Do the following (booted in "main"):

• open a command prompt
  • type in it: mountvol >mainMV.txt
  • and press [ENTER]
reboot to "2nd OS"
  • open a command prompt
  • type in it: mountvol >2ndMV.txt
  • and press [ENTER]
Compress the two resulting files C:\mainMV.txt and C:\2ndMV.txt into a .zip archive and attach them.

You did not "run chkdsk", you either run chkdsk without parameters or with the /F parameter or with the /R parameter, and you ran it from either the "main" or "2nd" OS and you got a much more accurate report that you are not reporting exactly (details are important) and you did not specify on which volume you ran it.

Now, provided that the volume on which the "main" OS is (the middle partition) gets drive letter D:\ (or change accordingly), when the 2nd OS is booted do exactly this:

• boot to the "2nd" OS
  • open a command prompt
  • type in it chkdsk D: /F >mainCD.txt
  • and press [ENTER]
add the resulting file to the archive that you will attach.

jaclaz

When I run mountvol with what you said to do, it creates a file but the file only contains what you would see if you did "mountvol /?"

I'll try to be more clear this time. A while ago, when I was getting bored with Ubuntu, I removed it from that partition and instead created a partition for data storage. Then I noticed that windows would assign two different drive letters to the same volume. Then I installed Vista and then Windows 7 (the current second OS). It has stayed like that ever since and it only shows on my main OS. When I go into Disk Management and click on "Change Drive letter and paths", it shows just E: and when I remove that letter, it does its usual busy mouse cursor thing and says F: as the letter of the partition. When I restart, it just reverts to the previous state. EDIT: I tried it again and it doesn't revert to that state anymore. It's just one driveletter now.

For chkdsk, I ran it from the second OS, targeted at the main OS's partition. I ran it with the /r parameter and I've attached the output that I got before in the form of a PNG file (as it wasn't letting me copy it for some reason). When I targeted the second OS with the same parameter from the first, it said there were no problems.

EDIT: I meant the /f parameter

chkdsk.zip

Edited by Torchizard

When I run mountvol with what you said to do, it creates a file but the file only contains what you would see if you did "mountvol /?"

Sure ;), and that is EXACTLY what I want to see.

Please, try again, the output of mountvol or mountvol /? is the same and after some "help" it actually lists volumes and their mountpoints:

http://ss64.com/nt/mountvol.html

If you like it better, run

mountvol | FIND "\">mainMV.txt

etc.

WHAT you weren't allowed to copy after you ran CHKDSK? The resulting file mainCD.txt?

jaclaz

Sure ;), and that is EXACTLY what I want to see.

Please, try again, the output of mountvol or mountvol /? is the same and after some "help" it actually lists volumes and their mountpoints:

http://ss64.com/nt/mountvol.html

If you like it better, run

mountvol | FIND "\">mainMV.txt

etc.

WHAT you weren't allowed to copy after you ran CHKDSK? The resulting file mainCD.txt?

jaclaz

I ran chkdsk before I was aware that you could get it to dump output to a file so I was trying to Rclick>select all an Rclick>copy which did not work and so I just gave up and created a screenshot instead.

I'll upload the mountvol output.

mainMV.zip

Good. :)

Then the drive letter is not an issue anymore.

The mountvol output you just attached:

Possible values for VolumeName along with current mount points are:

\\?\Volume{427c856f-981b-11e2-879b-806e6f6e6963}\
*** NO MOUNT POINTS ***

\\?\Volume{251749c5-4481-11e3-a207-806e6f6e6963}\
C:\

\\?\Volume{583a0987-308c-11e3-a3e0-685d434b3150}\
E:\

\\?\Volume{48bf014e-28d1-11e3-a5ce-806e6f6e6963}\
D:\

Should mean that you have the first 100 Mb partition not mounted (which is normal under Windows 7) then you have the two remaining partitions (the "main" and the "2ndOS" ones) and possibly the CD/DVD drive.

jaclaz

So is there anything else that I should do or should this be enough to get the partition 'clean' and as close to how it was before?

And also, if I were to try and shrink this partition again, this time using something like Disk Management, do you think it would be more successful with it not doing what it did before?

How much of a chance is there that a shrunk partition creates a black hole that destroys all of earth? :}

Edited by Torchizard

So is there anything else that I should do or should this be enough to get the partition 'clean' and as close to how it was before?

And also, if I were to try and shrink this partition again, this time using something like Disk Management, do you think it would be more successful with it not doing what it did before?

Basically you need to boot to the "2nd OS" and try running CHKDSK with the option /F and/or /R on the "middle" volume until (hopefully) you have not anymore any message about repairs needed or done.

Please consider how it is well possible that *something* that autoruns or is running in the background (and this may also include antiviruses and more or less *anything* scanning the system) does create an issue with CHKDSK (changing something while it is running), you may want to try to do a CHKDSK when running the "main OS", this will (should) prompt you about not being abe to get exclusive access to the volume (or something to the same effect) and ask you if you want to schedule a chkdsk at next reboot, you say yes and reboot. This boot-time chkdsk should take a lot of time to run, but it should be "safer".

In any case before shrinking a partition it is (besides "common sense") a good "rule of the thumb" to defragment the filesystem, sometimes the built-in defrag utility is not fully defragging a few files, in which case the use on the specific files of contig.exe or wincontig.exe:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897428.aspx

http://wincontig.mdtzone.it/en/

is advised.

Consider that shrinking/moving a parittion is something very similar to moving from one house to another, do you (before calling the movers) pack all your items/furniture or they will manage them directly?

Which provides you the more chances to find all your belongings in your new house?

How much of a chance is there that a shrunk partition creates a black hole that destroys all of earth? :}

Not very high, though you must be very, very careful to NOT divide by zero ;):

divide3.jpg

jaclaz

In any case before shrinking a partition it is (besides "common sense") a good "rule of the thumb" to defragment the filesystem, sometimes the built-in defrag utility is not fully defragging a few files, in which case the use on the specific files of contig.exe or wincontig.exe:

http://technet.micro...s/bb897428.aspx

http://wincontig.mdtzone.it/en/

is advised.

So is the point of defragmenting to move the data that is in the area I want to resize out of it?

But I've got an OCZ Vertex 4 which is an SSD so wouldn't defragmenting be bad? And since it has wear-leveling, wouldn't defragging be pointless?

Also, I ran CHKDSK like you said with BOTH /r and /f options and it didn't find any problems.

Edited by Torchizard

So is the point of defragmenting to move the data that is in the area I want to resize out of it?

No, the point is more about putting things together (making each of them contiguous), heavily fragmented files may well "confuse" the shrinking/moving calculations (and in any case slow down the operation).

Think again at the house moving.

You have a set of 24 crystal glasses (12 water, 12 wine).

Do you put all of them packaged into a single box :yes: or do you put them into 24 little boxes that you scatter all around your current home :w00t:?

Which strategy makes more likely that once in the new home you will be able to find the whole 24 pieces set? :whistle:

But I've got an OCZ Vertex 4 which is an SSD so wouldn't defragmenting be bad? And since it has wear-leveling, wouldn't defragging be pointless?

No.

It is not like defragmenting is bad in itself, like many things it is bad if you overdo it, if you defragment that SSD once it won't be the end of the world.

Wear leveling is altogether different thing and happens at a much lower level than the filesystem.

Imagine that you have 10 boxes (still on the move example).

You can decide to write on each of them what's inside, or you may decide to only write a number on each of them and then, on a piece of paper create a (very small) database with the number and beside it the list of the contents.

Now imagine that the movers find that box #3 has it's bottom weared out, if they take a new box, move in it the contents of the box #3 AND write on the new box the number 3, you (the filesystem ;)) have no way to know, nor any reason to whine, your "database" is still correct even if the box is new and you can still find the right contents in box #3.

Also, I ran CHKDSK like you said with BOTH /r and /f options and it didn't find any problems.

This is good, as it means that the filesystem is now "sound". :thumbup:

jaclaz