Aero Glass for Win8.1 RTM RC3

AERO GLASS for Win8.1 Candidate for Release Candidate

I'm not sure if this build satisfies you. I didn't have much time so it does not contains much changes but maybe contains new bugs :-D

* simplified some things about settings/theme loading

* registry settings to enable/disable glass when running on battery should work again (default is "Disable glass on battery") - probably disables blur effect only and leaves full transparency now

* multiple monitors fixes

* offscreen render target fixes (e.g. Magnifier)

* prepared some parts of code to build 32-bit version soon

* caption glow is now stretched to whole frame height

* fixed crashes/weird rendering when resource domain changes (e.g. when exiting games, changing video adapter etc.)

* maybe some other fixes which I don't remember

Hi BigMuscle,

Installed it, and it came up okay. Differences in behavior I see:

I initially installed it for testing in a VM I have been using and I see that it popped up the "This is BETA of Aero Glass for Win8.1." dialog, which I don't normally see on my licensed machines. I noticed License error: 0x80090006 in the file.

A lot more stuff shows up in the dwm.exe window now.

Magnifier window works, though when one magnifies the glass areas of windows they just look transparent.

The bigger caption glows are nice, though now I should adjust my theme atlas just a little as the glow seems almost too tall.

AGW81PopUp.png

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/AGW81RC1debug.log

-Noel

The RC0 seems to be working great, no artifacts like in the previous version. The debug window also shows realtime info, intended or a bug? Will test it more and post you the results.

The bigger caption glows are nice, though now I should adjust my theme atlas just a little as the glow seems almost too tall.

Using the theme from the Release Preview of Windows 8, the glow image now fits perfectly. In the previous version of Aero Glass it was too thin.

But I'm still voting for implementing another approach to text glow like I described in a previous post: Hook/override the theme's glow settings and apply the glow like it was applied with Aero Glass beta 3 when no glow.bmp was present. That would look much better than any bitmap-based glow. You could make it configurable in the registry like this:

• setting for switching between "real" glow and bitmap-based "fake" glow
  • settings to override the glow settings of the theme (intensity, size, maybe colour)
Edited by Hancoque

I noticed License error: 0x80090006 in the file.

This error means "Invalid Signature", in other words "License file does not match machine id".

Magnifier window works, though when one magnifies the glass areas of windows they just look transparent.

It's the intention.