Windows 8 Product Key

bookie32

Hi guys!

I see that Microsoft in its infinite wisdom has removed oem product key information from laptops...I would imagine the same goes for desktops etc... from what I have read it is programmed into the bios chip to reduce fraud etc....

OK! For Example...

I have a customer that hasn't created their recovery cd's and the hard drive is dead...what happens with a new drive? Will we still be able to install and activate Windows 8? Will the bios chip accept the new drive and still allow activation?

bookie32

Hi MagicAndre1981 :)

Nice to hear from you....

OK! I missed something in the posts I have been reading about this....I knew that it was encrypted in the bios, and sort of surmised that there must be a way of reading this info...:}

Just so we haven't miss understood each other....or rather that I haven't explained properly....

If the customer hasn't the recovery cd's and that we install a new disk - I should be able to install their version of Windows 8 so that the UEFI reads it and activates it?

Can I ask what software you used to read the MSDM table?

What has happened to the versions of Windows 8 being released like Windows 7 at my digital river?

bookie32

PS Noticed that your program was from read and write everything have that now :thumbup

Edited by bookie32

Just one problem that I can see with downloading Windows 8...they don't have a Swedish version....!!

TechNet has ISO images for the Swedish flavours of Windows 8, here are just hte 64-bit ones:

W8TechNet.png

• 1 month later...

yes, activation still works. The key is included in the MSDM table inside the UEFI:

euO77.jpg

Seems some of the tabs are now missing in the new version, Magic can you upload the version you are using? ..Thanks, DP

• 1 month later...

Hi guys!

OK...not doing too well with this utility. I have downloaded the portable 64bit version and start it on a customer's computer - but when I try acpi it freezes while building fpdt table?

The hard drive seems to be busy and I have no Control over the computer at all?

What gives?