setting up file associations ?

KapnJackSparrow

setting up file associations ?

does anyone know where they are stored in the registry ?

or if there are any programs that would allow me to export a .reg file of my file associations so that I wouldn't have to set them up after every new installation?

many of the applications used are using a static absolute path that is the same for multiple operating systems.

so for example I would like to be able to set .Avi files to be opened with J:\Vlc player\Vlc.exe right from the installation.

This program is very useful when setting your own file associations:

PortableFileAssociator

You can set and remove them in one click and there's also an option to save the settings permanently (by default they are removed once the application has been closed). It may take some time to define all of the extensions at the beginning but once set up you can restore them anytime very easily.

Thank you :D this seems to be exactly what I was looking for :thumbup

it works for most stuff.

I am having some difficulty getting the file associations for Avi and Mkv files working, since they seem to be more complicated, does anyone know if the registry keys used by vlc media player for file associations are posted somewhere?

and if it is possible to remove windows media player without breaking shell media handler? or at least remove as much of it as humanly possible.

Edited by KapnJackSparrow