Laptop runs extremely slow after "shock",. Vista system

Okay so the labtop is not broken, I used Ubuntu/Ubunto to browse the hard disk.

I think, various important operating system files are damaged,

My plan is to pull from another Vista installation. Because all the computers here are store brought computers with Vista installations. I would try and wait awhile before I could access another labtop with Vista to make a repair disc.

The labtop was already doomed from before, with the whole entire operation getting slower, and slower everyday, and the memory getting smaller.

What are the main operating system files, in order the start up Vista?

Okay, so somebody was fighting over the importance of everybodys role in the household, blah blah blah.

One person was playing SIMS3, on a Vista running labtop, that already had some graphic problems.

The other person closed the labtop screen down "hard" from what I understand.

The labtop is an HP pavillion P4

The result is the labtop now, loads, and moves data extremly slow. The Labtop loads vista Extremly slow...

It takes minutes, or even an hour to move a word file.

..............................................................................................................................................................................................

The computer says

"Segments of the hard disk, are not responding"

any clue to what happend?

......................................................................................................................................................................................

I will update, when I get more information.

Edited by ROTS

• 1 month later...

The problem with replacing the drive, is that an installation disc, or repair disc never came with the computer at all. Not even a built in repair program of any sort. I want to try and fix this install, which is the more cheaper solution :whistle:

I can retrieve the files using Ubuntu, but I am considering attempting to transfer files from another Vista install. If that is possible.

I was thinking I could repair install, just like in XP, if that is possible?

Edited by ROTS

I want to try and fix this install, which is the more cheaper solution :whistle:

You can't fix the install on a physically damaged hard drive. And it looks lke this is your case. It is not a cheaper solution nor is it a solution at all, it's just wasting your time untill you realize it doesn't work.

Browsing a disk and testing it is not the same. The problem at this point is that testing your disk will probably kill it and data that might still have been retrievable up to now might be lost after.

• 6 months later...

So the thing is the hard drive is damaged, physically ( meaning once it reads to a

certain point it stops reading ). I doubt any newer OSes can run on it ( because

they scan even the forsaken bad sectors ).

So I need a tool that marks all unreadable sectors bad, with no other options. I have

tried scanning it, but the computer freezes after awhile, the drive is around 300Gs

and it can barely do 100Mbs at a time.

Otherwise I need a new drive, no biggie another $50 dollars into the fire.

I want to try and fix this install, which is the more cheaper solution :whistle:

You can't fix the install on a physically damaged hard drive. And it looks lke this is your case. It is not a cheaper solution nor is it a solution at all, it's just wasting your time untill you realize it doesn't work.

Still applies. ...Only 7 months later.