Very bad internet performance

Tommy

Which of course I'd expect the 'duh!' response here, since I'm complaining about my dialup. We all know it's slow but my options are so extremely limited due to my location and more importantly, my budget, but anyway....

Just over the last few months I've been having major issues with it. I use Google Talk to talk to my fiancee while she's away at college, but over the past month, I can't even use it. Even though my download speeds are about 3-4kb/s and upload is around 8kb/s according to a few speed tests. I used to be able to use Google Talk just fine. Even though it would stutter once in a while, it was very usable. Now I can't use it at all and it even seems like it bogs down my connection after attempting to use it.

Then there are the bad DNS issues. It seems like every 10 minutes or so, I get these stupid DNS error pages when browsing the web. They just seem to appear at random times.

Steps I have taken to solve this

Tried a new modem...same problem

Tried a different phone cord...same problem

Tried a different computer...same problem

Went outside and tested it in the box itself...same problem

Contacted the phone company for line noise issues...no issues found

Contacted ISP...claims there are no problems on their end and no one else seems to have complained of any issues

So...I'm at a big loss right now. I have no DSL access out here, cable is too expensive ATM... satellite is even a worse choice...and I don't have or plan on getting a cell phone. So, is there anything I'm missing or I could try to figure out what is going on? I would definitely appreciate some feedback.

Edited by SearanoX

So...I'm at a big loss right now. I have no DSL access out here, cable is too expensive ATM... satellite is even a worse choice...and I don't have or plan on getting a cell phone. So, is there anything I'm missing or I could try to figure out what is going on? I would definitely appreciate some feedback.

It seems to me like you already did the "major" troubleshooting.

What remains "outsude" the tests you already made is the actual OS install (which you didn't specify) and the browser/internet tools that you are using (that you also didn't specify).

Since *anything* "hardware" is seemingly OK, check the "software", if I were you I would try downloading (when you are at a friend's house or at an internet Cafè) a "live" Linux distro and try it.

If you are going through your dial-up, I presume that the smallest suitable distro can be this one:

http://www.browserlinux.com/

or (even smaller) DSL:

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/download.html

Testing one of these should be enough to verufy that you have not *somehow* a "botched" install of the OS or however some slowish browser/internet tool.

jaclaz

Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely try it! As for my OS, I use Windows 2000 on my main computer 'the one I'm posting from now' and Windows XP on my laptop. I also use Google Chrome as my browser and sometimes I use FireFox and IE to test certain conditions. My Windows 2000 install has gone through quite a bit even though it was installed back in July. I did want to make sure that the OS was at fault first before I wiped and started over again since I've got quite a bit of stuff on here.